New Smart Phone - Sync or Not?

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My S5 Galaxy is getting slow and increasingly out of date - like its owner - and I am thinking about jumping up to an S20+.

The question I am debating is whether to just sync the old phone's contacts, pictures etc. onto the new phone or to start fresh with the new one and just enter contacts, phone numbers, web sites as needed. I am tending to a fresh start as I will keeping the old phone for reference/backup.

Similarly, I bought the existing phone in another area code, and have since moved, so for those of you who have done it, did you change your number to the area code in your new location? I think I will keep my old number for my convenience, but I realize that any local folks who call me pay long distance charges to speak to me, plus I am guessing that some folks ignore an out of district area code call. (Particularly trades who are hard enough to get a response from anyway...). My plan does not charge me LD.

Without discussing my choice of phones or the fact that I refuse to become an Apple owner, does anyone have any contributions to the two questions?

I live in Mississippi with a phone number that says I'm in prestigious downtown Atlanta. The spammers call from my area code. It makes them easy to ignore. I pick up local calls (by proximity) and I never get spam. My friends and family that have to pay long distance to talk to me, never call me anyway. I'll stay 404.

Late last year I upgraded from a Galaxy S5 to a Note 10 (similar to the S10, but with digitizer pen feature).

I snap-shot pics of my screens and apps listings, and used those to do a fresh config on the new phone. My contacts list automatically transferred when I setup my Google account using the same/original Gmail account. I kept my original phone number, saw no reason to change...

Back