New to bikes

I was thinking about just buying the original color and applying it after sandblasting the tank and other colored areas. Would that be a bad idea?

Whoa! Steady on, fella! Looks like that bike is a very early X1 and therefore well worth taking time & advice & care & patience to get it to the best it can be. Follow Gary's advice, post #10, and see if the original paint can be liberated with a little bit of work.

If that all sounds a bit daunting and you just want an XS650 to ride about on, I'm sure there's plenty of folk hereabouts would be willing to do a swap/cash adjustment so you end up with a daily rider and they end up with a project.

Get it out in good light, shoot a series, whole bike shots from all angles, then details of everything. You CANNOT have too many pics of a bike when you first got it, before work commences. I use those type pics all the time.

This cannot be overstated enough. When I was tearing down my bike I probably took 500 very detailed, close up photos of everything I could see, wire harness routing, cable routing, hoses, complete electrical connections, the entire electrical system, everything front to back, then when I was rebuilding things like carburetors, forks, brakes, I again took very detailed photos during the breakdown. I probably have over a 1000 photos in total. ( I am admittedly a little OCD :D ) I used these reference photos endlessly, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been contacted by someone asking to see photos of some detail. With phone cameras and digital storage on computers there’s no reason to not take a ton of photos. You’ll be glad you did.

Read the mailman's XS2 restoration thread it's as close to an XS restoration guide as can be found

I also started out as wanting to do a sympathetic restoration. I was just going to get it running and leave the original appearance. But I got a little ………ummm……carried away. o_O

Welcome Paul - from Canada’s sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario!

You’ve got yourself a rare bird there and lots of folks on this forum to help you out. There is a fix for just about everything that ails the bike and so the best advice is:
  • Post lots of pictures;
  • Ask lots of questions;
  • Tell us what parts you need - while some reproduction parts are OK, some are crap. Also, there are people on here who have a large stocks of good factory parts and trades / economy deals are extremely common;
  • Get yourself a manual (downloadable online for free - anybody got the linky?);
  • Do NOT cut the bike up before you have a chance to ride it in stock condition - these bikes truly are a great ride and deserve to be returned to stock rather than being ruined with some half-baked customization.
As for paint, check out Mailman’s XS1B (?) - the paint was done by forum-member and technical wizard @Jim who lives in Kansas City (which oddly, is not in Kansas….) and Jim is also the master of the alternator rotor rewind. The original decals are available from Diablo Cycle in London, Ontario at reasonable cost

As I said, lots of help here. In fact, I’d say that there are people here who as much about these bikes as the Yamaha engineers who designed them back 50-odd years ago and Mailman, Jim and Gary (and many others) are among those gents.

Anyhow - welcome aboard and enjoy the ride! It looks like you’ve got yourself a ballgame there!

Pete

Last edited:
Serial number 146..... WOW!! This was Yamaha's first venture into big displacement 4 strokes. You've got a real piece of motorcycle history there. I hope you treat it as such... or sell it to someone who will.
Already been said, but give it a good bath and see If it can be brought back as a survivor. Looking forward to your most excellent pics.

Oh.... and welcome to the forum. Not sure you realize jus' how lucky you are... :geek:

I bought a XS-1 (I think) from a a guy off of Craigslist. I've wanted to get into riding and working on bikes for a while, but never had the money. Saw this for $550, and I jumped on the opportunity. That being said, I really don't know anything about getting started. I can say that the bike has sat for about 20-25 years, but the guy I bought it from kept in in good condition. Does anyone have advice on where to start taking it apart? I did buy a owner's workshop manual for it, and I've got some tools to work with, but I'll take any advice I can get my hands on for what to do next.

That is the first ..last and only mistake Beginners Do ---> Does anyone have advice on where to start taking it apart?

Once taken apart the coming together sometimes (most times ) don't happen .
Most times I have seen this was bikes that was not likely to run at all .And was cheap.
Not knowing your skills or tools or time available. So if you ask me the first rule for a beginner .
If not broken dont touch it.
Here on the forum are people installing aftermarket Whatnot and ends in huge problems.
Experts can find solutions .But a beginner cannot

Clearly openly stating --> I really don't know anything about getting started

I find that as a very good sign say that again -- very good sign ---The opposite is more common.
Bought the bike and the manual and two weeks later are Experts. Fumbling it

With the pictures I have seen ..It looks like a find .. We don't know the facts
If the engine i seized and mileage
Many here on the forum are Experts the Worlds best .. And their advice tend to underestimate how difficult it can be and don't remember their own mistakes . Nor how expensive it can be.

A careful touch according to waking up instructions and not touching the rest would be my recommendation
Keeping it stock don't touch the exterior
Then you have essentially the same bike to sell on if this is not right for you.
Getting some more dollars for.It
Then if you get it running you can slowly plan for the future finding part and perhaps go for cleaning off the
Paint
I have heard the saying here
" There is no such thing as a Normal wear on an Enthusiast vehicle they only get better with time "
It can be a process that takes many years .
Take your time .. get it running and then think about the next step.
As gggGary puts it .The wrong approach can reduce value .And as I have seen getting a bike that ran ( poorly )
Soon Being a box of parts.
People do what they want with their property and bikes I know that . But here is a good start. Dont hurt to think before.

Some light reading. ;) Best advice I can give you is start reading, knowledge is power. You may not be ready for all this, but just keep it for reference. The xscafedotcom has tons of useful reference material , also click on the Tech section on the header above , lots of especially useful material. Carburetors , charging system, engine over haul, you name it.

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2013/11/28/xs650-xs1-owners-manual/

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.c...s1-xs2-tx650-tx650a-service-manual-1970-1974/

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/xs650-xs1-xs1f-xs2-tx650-parts-lists/

http://www.xs650.com/threads/yamaha-xs1-xs1b-xs2-tx650-tech-bulletins-service-data-brochures.31022/

How many bikes came with roller bearing wrist pins? How many still have them?
There is a guy on FB that recently launched a rod through the cases of an XS1. Cheesy Yamaha engineering small end of the rod let go after 110KM and 45+ years. Can't put my finger on the changeover date, SN from needle to plain small end bearings. But 74 when the 447 came out is when they reduced the wrist pin diameter allowing more beef in the rod around it.

Last edited:
So, the bike in question could have roller little ends. That wouldn’t be good. Only the 1970 XS1 had this malady, correct?

'less someones been in the motor, it's a certainty with that serial number.
It was a FEATURE LOL. There's prolly an ad touting it's superiority.
Seems like the change over was mid, late 70 production?
@TwoManyXS1Bs you got the changeover at your fingertips?

Last edited:
I agree try to recover (uncover) the old paint. Does anybody know what technology xs-1 paint was? I think in those days you had pretty much basic enamel or lacquer, not many fancy man-made polymers.

Or, if you want to learn to ride this year, swap it to gggGary for a shiny and reliable hop on and go later model. No shame in that. For the riding part itself, please take an MSF course. Mine has saved my life a half dozen times or more. The certificate also gives you a small discount on insurance, and just show the certificate to the DMV and get a license without having to take a test. The course starts you as if you've never been on a bike, and leaves you as an expert with just a little bit of experience and some good "immediate action drills" programmed in.

First off, the motor # needs to be identified. This will tell you if it is the roller bearing little end con-rod.

What i don't see are the blocks between the fins on the head that XS1's had. Also post pics of the left side of the motor so we can see the tappet cover and the back of the barrels where they meet the cases. Tappet cover should be a 3 bolt cover and where the barrels meet the cases there should be angle molded angle bracing on the left side.
XS1 j s-l1600.jpg
xs1 uk s-l1600.jpg

Forgetting about the colour or the seat just for the moment, you could have a real gem on your hands. The chrome looks to be in good condition. Some have made quite bad looking chrome look good as a daily rider so this bike should come up well.

Get the engine running and the carbs cleaned, then worry about the paint work. if at that time you decide it may be to much work for yourself or the cost is prohibitive the value of the bike will have gone up with no real cost and a collector will pay tripple what you payed for it. Especially if the engine matches the frame and being such a low numbered bike the vale to a collector could be more.

There have been many who have cautioned on the direction to take on the bike. With such a low numbered bike and the condition it is in, if it can be cleaned up as it is , it is worth more as an UN-restored original. Hopefully the old paint is under that read and can be bought back up again.

I'm in the do not take it apart opinion. looks to be a bit of dust and a clean will do wonders. Buy a gallon of Wd40 and a spray bottle and rags. Use it to spray on the bike to clean it. a lot better that water and it will also protect the wiring and connections from water, especially with al the dust on it it will track water into connections........... This you don't want........Doing this is another way to get to know the bike. As you take things apart, (headlight, sidecovers), and clean/wipe down, the wiring it gives you an opportunity to look at connections/couplings/bullet, closely to check for broken wires or corrosion and at the same time wipe the frame. You will be amazed at the transformation of the bike.

A small outlay to buy the WD40 will pay for itself.

WD40 is like 95% kerosene, so I'd just use that, lol. It's only like $3 or $4 a gallon.

just now checked the lable.

kerosene
100% hydrocarbon liquid.

WD40,
60%hydrocarbon liquid.
10% 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene
10% 1,2,3_trymethyl benzene
1% anionic surfactant

Don't know the other 19%, doesn't state it on the lable

Back