New to me '81 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Well, most of us think the stock high bars are awful, lol. They stick back too straight and put your wrists at an uncomfortable angle. But there's more - they give very little steering "feel". Let me relate a small "tale of woe" I experienced with them. I was working on a local guy's bike that had them. I test drove it after tuning it and they were fine ..... until I got to one of the new traffic circles they recently put in our town. Let me tell you, going around that circle was an adventure, lol. So, I finally convinced the guy to let me swap those awful things for some Euro bars. When I test drove the bike, I didn't get more than a few hundred feet down the road before I noticed the steering bearings were TOTALLY shot. Nasty, very nasty, worst I've ever encountered. The thing is, with those stock (piss-poor excuse for) bars, I couldn't feel any of this. I couldn't feel the bad bearings even though they were all rusty and the races all dented.

Scary stuff @5twins !!
I also had to replace the handlebar bushings - the rubber ones were totally shot, that greatly improved the steering feel. To be honest, whatever the bars actually - are really quite easy on the wrists. If the stock ones are as bad as you say, I'll keep the ones that are on the bike now :D

I'll add in 7/8" handle bars were never meant to grow that long.
They are like noodles, never met a set on a bike I've bought that weren't bent.

Hi Everyone, greetings from Sydney, Australia!

I've just pulled the trigger and bought an '81 XS650 Heritage Special which I just got home. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the bike. I haven't been able to get up close and spend time with the bike but from the close-ups I've had, she seems quite well kept.

The history I have on the bike is she was imported from the US into Australia by a dealer, who was then purchased by its PO 6 years ago. It wasn't ever registered and due to the PO's health, sat in his garage for the entire time. That part checks out as it still has the new tire lines on the tires.

The odo reads 4,501 miles - which I find quite impossible, but the bike has zero rust or any funny looking markings on it so, I'm hopeful it's low mileage at the very least :)

She will be the sister bike to my XS750 and will be kept as stock as possible. Next up for her is a thorough service, fluid change and diagnostic. Plans are to do summer riding with the girlfriend.

Hoping to contribute to this wonderful forum, and learn as much as I can from you all :)

Photo-20-9-20-2-24-31-pm.jpg

Cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt and welcome,
congratulations on your rare find.and on remaining neutral in the list's ongoing handlebar preference squabble.
Some things I'd recommend that others haven't yet:-
Drill the bejazus out of your front brake disk.
Replace the front brake-line hose. it's four decades older than it's "best before" date.
The front brake lever's hydraulic piston is sized to work dual front brakes and your bike only has one.
XS650 7-spoke cast aluminum wheels and XS650 wire-spoke wheels weigh just about the same plus the cast wheels will run tubeless..
XS650 parts swap between years and models just about like LEGO

Last edited:
Excellent info - thank you @fredintoon !

I took the girlfriend bar-hopping last night and some initial impressions were braking really needs improving, so the front brake system will be looked at closely.

Also, I notice once the bike warms up, the clutch seems like it doesn't like to shift between 1-2nd gear. All the other gears are fine. Does anyone have any advise they could offer please? I can confirm the clutch line has been lubed properly.

Cheers

A bit less clutch release when the engine warms up is a "thing" Set clearance at the side cover adjuster to mebbie 1/16 turn from snug, See how that works, finagle a bit from there. Yes there are several minor upgrades to the front brake that can make quite a bit of difference.

Back