New to the game - year compatibility?

LeviKatt

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am brand new to building bobbers, but I am determined to get my '73 tx650 bobber finished this year. I am looking to buy another xs650 that is already bobbed and finished to use as a parts bike and to sell the excess parts for payment on the new build. Will this 1981 xs650 be compatible with my 1973? I know there were minor differences made between 73-75 but I'm not sure if any would get in the way of me using the '81 as a parts bike for a bobber build... Can anyone give advice? Looking forward to being a part of this community!

Put it like this
1973 Ford Mustang and 1981 Ford Mustang ---What parts are interchangeable
It is better with the XS
but it comes down to what part and how much skills and shop resources.
A saddle and mirror is one thing but a front fork is different
Different ignitions and wiring
Depending on what parts .But I probably would look for something closer in time and look comparing parts No s online for the important large difficult parts
Selling off excess parts after a Bobber bulld is something many people does so the prices is not always high if it is not fine condition.

Welcome!

There were some frame changes along the way, but the engine mounting for '73 and '81 are the same, so you could put the '73 motor in a frame made for the '81. Numerous other differences though, forks, wheels, brakes, etc.

Put it like this
1973 Ford Mustang and 1981 Ford Mustang ---What parts are interchangeable
It is better with the XS
but it comes down to what part and how much skills and shop resources.
A saddle and mirror is one thing but a front fork is different
Different ignitions and wiring
Depending on what parts .But I probably would look for something closer in time and look comparing parts No s online for the important large difficult parts
Selling off excess parts after a Bobber bulld is something many people does so the prices is not always high if it is not fine condition.
Welcome!

There were some frame changes along the way, but the engine mounting for '73 and '81 are the same, so you could put the '73 motor in a frame made for the '81. Numerous other differences though, forks, wheels, brakes, etc.
Don't need anything off engine minus screws and covers, plan on selling it for cheap after. Selling front fork, wheels, tires, brakes, handlebars, pipes, tank electrics, frame, and a few extra things I already have like battery, kickstand, seat, etc.

I think I'm confused about what major parts you have from '73 and what you want from an "already bobbed and finished" '81?

Or, maybe it's if you're getting a finished '81, what from the '73 do you want to transfer?

I think I'm confused about what major parts you have from '73 and what you want from an "already bobbed and finished" '81?

Or, maybe it's if you're getting a finished '81, what from the '73 do you want to transfer?
Mainly covers to the engine, cables, carbs, (maybe the whole engine if mine does not run, its been sitting for over 10 years in pieces) and need the axle as well for the rear.

Axle p/n is different, but I think they're both 20mm dia., maybe different length to mag wheel on late model. Whole engine itself will swap, different internals, different electrics, carbs different, but doable.

partzilla,com or cmsnl.com to compare parts

Back