New to the site

2BallCane

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,
Just thought I'd drop this tidbit introducing myself. "New" owner of a '79 XS650 special, got it from a friend for a steal of $200. It runs and goes, but just needs a little TLC. After reading through the posts of this site, I have found 2 camps regarding the XS650; Purists and customizers. I am traditionally a purist in most cases regarding certain things like old firearms, hard to find cars & bikes, etc. BUT, (big butt, like my wife's) I have decided to go off the beaten path with the XS650 to the stampeded path of customization. I have already restored an '80 Honda XL250s, and an '80 Kawasaki KM100. But I want to modernize the XS650 into a daily driver, something for long trips. I have already decided to do PMA/CDI conversion from HHB, among other things. I know there's contentious debate on PMA systems, but with both of those other bikes being only kick start, I like to know that I'm not dependent on a battery to start the bike. The electric start will be a luxury for me, although I don't like that it won't start with the clutch pulled in.
Anyways, point is, I'm new and welcome to hearing all of the wealth of knowledge from you all.
IMG_20081231_133025.jpg
IMG_20210603_191111.jpg
IMG_20210712_210657.jpg

Welcome aboard to the land of XS650 and all that we can offer to help.
Most anything you have trouble with can be resolved with the tech and posts on the site.
Anything you can't resolve; there are plenty of willing helpers to ask.
Post plenty of pictures and keep us up to date with your new build.

I have found 2 camps regarding the XS650; Purists and customizers

I would have to disagree on this statement in regards to those on this forum! There are many different layers between those to extremes. And I don't use the word "extremes" in a negative sense!

Not really sure where I would fall in the list, guess more of the "Slightly Cleaned up Barn Find" group. Others might say "Cheap SOB" who has no problem with welded on patches on mufflers.

Welcome. I also started with a '79 Special. It is far, far from stock so I am OK with customization. Some of my other bikes are stock-adjacent :)
PS. I like the stickers on your toolbox :thumbsup:

I have already decided to do PMA/CDI conversion from HHB, among other things.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Agree with all the comments above. As kshansen says, there's all sorts of bikes & owners here from painstakingly original to lightly modernised to varying degrees of individualisation to café racers to choppers so you can follow any path or blaze your own trail.

I see you have already made up your mind to go down the PMI/CDI route BUT there is a lot to be said for retaining the stock charging system. You can still have a very reliable bike and it doesn't mean you have to use the electric starter.

But good luck whatever you decide. Cheers, Raymond

I've decided to go with a cafe/scrambler-esque look. I'm going to get yo mama exhaust pipes, wrap them, and make a heat shield similar to that of a Honda CB350 scrambler. It'll probably have peashooter mufflers or something of the sort. I already bought protaper evo handlebars.

Welcome in!
Yup, the core of the site is restomod riders. Our bikes look "stock" to the unschooled eye but have evolved to be the bikes we WANT to ride. :sneaky:
resto 18 front rear.jpg

And that has been a large part of the appeal of the XS, "pretty good bones" but improvements make them OURS!

I've decided to go with a cafe/scrambler-esque look. I'm going to get yo mama exhaust pipes, wrap them, and make a heat shield similar to that of a Honda CB350 scrambler. It'll probably have peashooter mufflers or something of the sort. I already bought protaper evo handlebars.
I think the XS650 is a great platform for a Street Scrambler or even a real one. I've been hoarding parts for just such a project for a while now.

Welcome to the forum, I encourage you to start a build thread, where you can post photos ( we love photos ) and we can follow along with your progress. It also makes it convenient for you to ask any questions you might have as you go along. Good luck with your new bike!

I just took the handlebars off last night, and I need to machine new plugs out of polypropylene blocks at work to replace the rubber plugs. I've also replaced the vacuum petcocks to manual ones awhile back when I rebuilt the carbs, and got new diaphragms on the way from jolly old England.

Back