New to the site

Welcome,

I just took the handlebars off last night, and I need to machine new plugs out of polypropylene blocks at work to replace the rubber plugs. I've also replaced the vacuum petcocks to manual ones awhile back when I rebuilt the carbs, and got new diaphragms on the way from jolly old England.

You have made up your mind on what your going to do, so happy building.

Yamaha made the bike with a lot of dampers for a reason.

It will be fine or it won't. Going back to rubber is a simple job if required.

Rubber is better to soften the vibes man!
Poly stops the flex, there is always a compromise....

That's why I'm meeting in the middle with polypropylene.

Bit harder than rubber but in my mind better than the solid aftermarket ones.

If you have the skill to make them you might want to consider making your own swing arm bushes out of polypropylene. Although it hasn't been done much at all a friend of mine, (daily rider to work and weekend rides, who has done so many Miles/Kilometers he has rebuilt the bike and engine 3 times),), got his swing-arm bushes made from polypropylene and they have lasted because they are maintained with grease as Yamaha intended.

You hear all the horror stories about the swing-arm bushes and how the are shot and stuck, only to be replaced with bronze/brass bushes. Where the factory bushes have been looked after with proper maintenance they will last and today's polypropylene is better quality than it was 40 years ago ............there have been some issues with the aftermarket brass bushings. Some are slightly larger than the swing-arm and need to be made to fit. Others have been known to have the hat part of the bush wider than they should be making the width of the swing-arm and bushings to wide for the frame

Just a heads up

And if you do go back to rubber ask before buying. There are several suppliers and one of them doesn't have a good rep for there rubber parts.

Back