New to the XS650, need some wheel info

jzanutto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey all, thanks for letting me join your forum. I'm now on yet another forum.... I've lost count.

I'm not new to builds, but this is my first try at a XS650 tracker.

my basic plan is to keep the rear drum, and lace up a 19" rear. Buchanan already said no issues, they just need my rim size.

so my questions are: keeping the stock swingarm, how wide can I go on the tire if I plan on using a slightly taller shock?

Anyone bought any of the DT-3 or similar? and what rim did you use? keeping in mind stock swingarm.

I dont mind having spokes made, I dont mind a rear drum. I dont want to have to fab up a custom swingarm.

more specifically, I'm looking to see if anyone has done a 140 x 19 tire on the rear, using a standard swingarm. The bike currently has a 130 on it.

my basic plan is to keep the rear drum, and lace up a 19" rear. Buchanan already said no issues, they just need my rim size.
so my questions are: keeping the stock swingarm, how wide can I go on the tire if I plan on using a slightly taller shock?
Anyone bought any of the DT-3 or similar? and what rim did you use? keeping in mind stock swingarm.
I dont mind having spokes made, I dont mind a rear drum. I dont want to have to fab up a custom swingarm.

Hi jzanutto and welcome,
lotsa folks have built 19" rims onto XS650 rear drums.
Fattest tire? Well, the Specials run 130/90-16 rear tires but I doubt that a 19" tire that wide would fit.
The shock height ain't the problem, it's that the swingarm gets too narrow at the front.
I'd say a 100/xx-19 or perhaps a 110/xx-19 would work OK.
You don't need to fab up a custom swingarm, if you need a swingarm that's longer or sturdier or square section, there's swingarms from other Yamahas that'll fit in an XS650 frame without too much effort.
The search function can show you what others have done for wheel builds, swingarm swaps and just about everything else.

Hi jzanutto,
post #3 says you want to run a 140/xx-19 rear tire in a stock swingarm.
I don't see that happening.
And I don't see a 130/xx-19 fitting either.
Even with the axle all the way back that extra 3" tire diameter is going to put the tire tread right into the swingarm's front arc.
You'd need a perhaps 2" swingarm stretch to make it work.
The problem with a 140-width tire is that you'd have to offset the rim lace-up so the chain would clear the tire and then the bike would be running dog-tracked.

Back