New toy - 2004 Buell XB12R Firebolt

honest opinion on why it had it's day? heavy lump of shit motor. so many good choices for a twin to use, and finally the 1125 Rotax motor (used by aprilia in the rsv1000) came to light...but the bike was ugly and came waay to late. always loved the design and innovation of buell though...just can't get past that lump.

A better fit from day one would have been a suzuki SV1000 motor. Real HP and real TQ numbers would have sold that bike...but then it wouldn't have been all american. Also combine that with a dealer network that didn't know shit about them and wasn't at all interested in selling you anything but shitty Dyna when you went in to ask about them.

Last edited:
My brother's diesel pickup redlines just off idle :) But I could have guessed a less than optimal motor was its downfall, given its ownership. A little incorporation of the wrong part of the heritage or something like that...

Im almost bitter towards the brand because of it....it's on my list to own one though.:)

All the guys that own them should try a Ducati monster. Like an S2R1000 and see what technology can do to an aircooled twin. Or the super bike powered Liquid cooled Monster s4r. The S4R is like a missle. (same motor as my 999)

There are so many things they could do, but don't, that it's pretty frustrating. I like their xr1200 a lot, but it's not optimized for anything.

except being heavy as fuck.....the swing arm weighs almost nothing....the rear wheel is like 30 lbs with tire hahahahah:doh: did anyone talk to each other when they designed the thing?

And...you could have predicted that it would be heavier than it needs to be. That's the problem :) But they did come back from the brink, completely changed their image, and have all those boutique shops, really turned themselves around from a profit perspective. My mom wanted to buy my nephew a Harley shirt years ago, before then, and I told her not to because it was pure low life identification :) Which it was then. You never saw a Harley logo except on a rusted out pickup truck.

Unless your planning on relocating the oil tank.. ps: its inside the swingarm. You unfortunately wont doing much with the swingarm. Gastank is in the frame so that might count out that also.

The price was right though.... 15k miles is nothing also. Im sure the Screamin Eagle parts are going cheap for these too direct from Harley.. there is a decent amount of power to gain from that motor.

Have fun.

So any ideas on where to go with it? :)

PS sorry it's been so long guys. Just been slammed with life.
Cool Jim :thumbsup: Where to go with it? Ya go for a ride on a very twisty road :laugh: I have a Cyclone and love it :bike: Buell's are cheap and a bargin, just ride the hell out of it or throw some paint at it to make it a little more yours :D

yea i would have to agree, i love the look of chopped and bobbed buells, but you already have a few of those style bikes. streetfighter is always a kool way to go, or maybe a rolland sands type custom job would be sick! look up some of his stuff its pretty sick and this would be a good bike to start with for something like that. just an idea ;)

My mom wanted to buy my nephew a Harley shirt years ago, before then, and I told her not to because it was pure low life identification Which it was then. You never saw a Harley logo except on a rusted out pickup truck.

OUCH!

Don't ya love broad brush generalizations? In some circles that would apply to anyone on a motorcycle, even you.

Big Jimmy, nice Buell, I've ridden one and I have lusted for them a long time now. (along with Ducati Monster, Aprilla Tuono)

Last edited:
I have always liked those front disks. Not so excited about those big slabs of frame. Hmm maybe drop the sporty engine out and winch an XS engine up into the bay?

I have always liked those front disks. Not so excited about those big slabs of frame. Hmm maybe drop the sporty engine out and winch an XS engine up into the bay?

Ummm..no..don't..

Hey Jimmy! Long time! Cool bike! AND it has almost TWICE the displacement. Works for me.:thumbsup:

You still got your 650?

Thanks and sure do. Working on a rephase and 750 upgrade right now. Also getting the cases pc'd as well as the cylinders and heads. Also picked up the 5th gear overdrive for it. So at least I have this to ride while I work on both the bobbers...

Posted via Mobile

I have heard that several times but I can't help but think lump when I see a Sportster motor and I have never ridden either a Sporty or a Buell. I have been tempted more than few times by Buell "deals" too. Someone else mentioned it and it may have been a factor that there just has never been much respect for a sporty from anyone, Harley, Harley riders or any other brand riders. I ain't try'n to bust yours just how I see the Brand. I really like some of what Eric did and I have a lot of respect for how far he got with what he had to work with. Early QC made it a tough sell to trust a Buell.

Oh that's gonna be sick! I wish I had the coin, but mines working good for now. Rode the hell out of it this summer. You be careful on that Buell. (even if it is a "heavy lump of shit motor"):wtf: Peace brother.

OUCH!
Don't ya love broad brush generalizations? In some circles that would apply to anyone on a motorcycle, even you.

I would apply it to myself, actually :)

Generalization, stereotype, or whatever you want to call it, the general public was repulsed by the Harley brand. Just a fact. :) Was it wrong? No, it just was. Same as you might like Pepsi and dislike 7-up.

Back in those days if you'd said "Harley boutique" it would have sounded like plart of a Jeff Foxwothy joke. Harley turning that completely around in just a few short years is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Back