New TX650 Wiring Questions.

Bill Cortelyou

XS650 Member
Reaction score
8B69F972-855A-489C-AE62-EC42A0C2749C.jpeg

Hello all.
I’m going though my recently purchased TX650. I have two issues I’m working on presently:
1) The Neutral indicator light doesn’t illuminate (with key on and in neutral). I verified the bulb is good and grounded the wire at the neutral switch and nothing. so it looks like I need to trace the voltage from the source and see why the circuit is not complete. Probably, I’ll start at the bulb socket.
2) The bike was missing the front brake light switch. I think I’ve found the correct switch (mechanical) on MikesXS. It will be hard to tell until I buy it, but my lever assembly has a spot to mount it. It comes with what looks like a ~20 inch pig tail connector. I don’t see the mating connection on my bike. Either I need to look harder or it’s inside the headlight bucket.

Any tips on resolving above problems greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Bill

Yeah that is a beauty, I don’t know how I missed this when it was originally posted. One thing I know for sure, that’s not Oregon in the background of the photo, that looks like where I live in Arizona! :geek:

Neutral
On my 80 the neutral switch itself on top of engine has a small Philips screw on top and the wire sits there with a small fork . is is covered with a plastic boot ( perhaps rubber )
That small screw does not alwys hold the fork so it jumps out . and don't establish the circuit.

Yes, Tucson, AZ. My wife stays in Tucson in the winter. She lets me stay once and a while when I’m not working in Beaverton, OR.
I thought it would be a nice place for a bike.

All the credit on the excellent restoration goes to Bill Bowling !

D35DA7DD-D800-4C2F-B7F5-8F9643593CDB.jpeg
FE84CFC4-B315-442D-B6CB-9A5F9E06E8B1.jpeg
927D064C-B588-4AA4-B0F3-F1B1AD6A0DBC.jpeg

My collection grew quickly. Slowing down to figure out my plans. I’m pretty good on projects except I am SLOW.
I’m trying to see if, practicality speaking, I can race the grey bike. The Yellow bike, by Adam Holmes, is mostly vintage NOS including the engine and Champion frame. I’m thinking street tracker on the yellow one.

The yellow bike looks good, like the Champion frame! :geek: The white track bike looks like someone was seriously racing flat track with it, it looks like a Trackmaster frame? And a modified alternator cover with a right side shift.
And what is that Triumph we’re getting a peek of in that one photo? Hmmm? :whistle:

Hi Mailman.
The White/Gray was “well raced.” I think I’ll get it/keep it an early period correct racer. It’s also a Champion frame ~1975. From some brief research I did the swing arm was changed from rectangular to round then based on what they learn from the TZ750.
The Triumph is a ‘66 TT Special next to a Bonanza BC1300 I restored from scratch.
77D1E15E-1D18-4880-9453-31F84F5394DA.jpeg

Back