New wiring harness from mikesxs

mike1968

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to put on a new wiring harness. I wonder if anyone has any pics or video. My old harness doesn't have the same looking fuse box (old one just has electrical tape with wired fuses.). I have downloaded the pdf of the manual, but it doesn't show a good pic of this section. The new harness has a fuse box that has two screws that hold out in place. I'm going to try to get it installed this weekend. I'm hoping this will correct my charging system issues. Any help would be appreciated. This is my last major fix on the bike. Then more riding till come...

Ill assume the bike in your avatar is the one you are working on.

Its an 82SK and the fuse box goes on top of the battery. Have a look in my albums, page 5, and look at the 81SH pics.

These Special Cable routing pics will help. Double click on the pics and then download and save. Large jpg pics.

Don't know why you don't take pics as you remove the old one or lay the new one over the old as you take it off.

Attachments

• Cable Routing  G, SG..jpg
    Cable Routing G, SG..jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 3,100
  • Cable Routing G, SG..jpg
    Cable Routing G, SG..jpg
    261 KB · Views: 1,086
I plan ok n taking pics as I go. But, wanted to see if anyone knew where to attach the new fuse box to the bike. Thanks for the pics. I'll definitely use them. Will keep everyone posted.

Ok. I have the new wiring harness in. Everything was the same connection. Now here's my issue. My headlight won't come on. I don't have any power from the green or yellow wire that goes to the headlight.
Which was an issue before. A mechanic had wired the headlight directly to a blue wire in the headlight assembly. It looks like the blue wire is part of the wires that go to the key switch. My question now is do I have a problem with my key switch. I am a newbie at electrical and don't have a good source of help in this area.

I have looked at the schematic for my bike and I think I have narrowed down the problems, but don't know where to go from here. My tach and speedometer don't have lights, they work, but no lights (which was the same with the old harness). The headlight is working now, but only because I have it connected to the Blue wire that goes to the key Switch (which is also the same as with the old harness). I have looked and the ground seems to be good in the headlight plug, but I don't have power to the Yellow or Green wires that come from the headlight plug. As I back track the wires one common piece is the Reserve lighting box. Both the Blue wire from the Tach and Speedomter and the yellow wire to the headlight both come out of this box. Could this be the source of the issues? Or am I way off. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. This is the last major hurdle in getting the bike done. I recently fixed the oil leak that had been plaguing me.

Connecting the headlight to the blue wire that comes from the ignition switch is not correct, and you should disconnect that wire.

The Reserve Lighting Unit is not a likely problem, so forget that for now.

Your headlight and meter lights are turned on by the Safety Relay. The SR is switched on only when the alternator starts to produce voltage. You say you have charging problems, which likely means the alternator is not making enough voltage to switch on the Safety Relay and thus you have no headlight.

If you find out the problem with the charging system and repair it, you will most likely have a working headlight. Common problems are brushes shorter than 3/8", and rotors that do not measure 5 to 6 ohms from copper ring to copper ring. Remove both brushes and measure them. While the brushes are out, measure the resistance of the rotor.

It looks like I am back to the charging system problem. I have replaced the rectifier, brushes, and bought a rewound rotor from custom rewind. I guess I will have to break down and see if the local motor cycle shop can help. Unless anyone has some other ideas. Thank you for everyone's help, I was so... Excited too get it up and running.

It looks like I am back to the charging system problem. I have replaced the rectifier, brushes, and bought a rewound rotor from custom rewind. I guess I will have to break down and see if the local motor cycle shop can help. Unless anyone has some other ideas. Thank you for everyone's help, I was so... Excited too get it up and running.

Did you actually measure the rotor? What was the measurement?

I bought a used rotor from a guy and it worked for me for a week. They die.

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for your suggestions. I found a motorcycle shop in the next town and found a mechanic that has had 3 XS650's. He found out that the Stator wasn't working, but when he took it off and cleaned it, it registered fine. Put it back on the bike and found that the regulator wasn't working properly. It was charging at 17.5 volts. They ordered a new one and put it in today. Charges a little high at 15.5, but everything works well. They also found a missing motor mount and fixed it also. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning, hoping to ride it home as long as the rain stays away. Plan on some great riding time coming up. Thank you again for all of your assistance.

im building a custom 82 xs650 heritage special 2 (usa). im throwing out the stock wiring harness and purchasing a new one. since this is my first bike i feel that it is important for me to have a eletric start, so that i dont have to kickstart the bike everytime i want to ride. i just want to run headlights, tail light, speedometer/ odometer, alternator and battery. i want to run pretty minimal with the electric but also keep the things that i really need as i learn to ride. can anyone help me find the right wiring harness and if you have any other advice i would much appreciate it.

eagletoot. To do what you want you should build your own harness.
If you look in the XS650 TECH section under Electrical you will find the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread .
I like #4, it shows a basic points set up with the early separate regulator and rectifier. Start up in the right corner.
It has the later TCI and combo reg/rec in boxes. Just swap boxes to match what you have.
I would also suggest you get the charging system wired right first, these bikes won't run well for long with out a good charging system. Once you get the charging system wired then add the ignition.
At this point you should be able to start the bike and test the charging system. If it runs and charges then start adding the other things. Just add a fuse run wires and items you want. Be sure you have good grounds, that means clean bare metal to bare clean metal.
Leo

I just installed my factory style repopulate wiring harness from mikesxs, minus main fuse. Mine is a 1978 standard, and this harness is a real plug and play install. It's identical in wire color and gauge as the original, with correct connectors in every place. Honestly the only difference between mikes and the oem is that the oem has shrink tube on the forward portions that go into the headlight bucket and mikes is tape wrapped all the way.

I can say enough about how straightforward the install was. I just unplugged each oem connector and replaced it with mikes. Slam dunk. We'll see tomorrow to be sure it all works, but I have no reason to doubt it.

Ok. I have the new wiring harness in. Everything was the same connection. Now here's my issue. My headlight won't come on. I don't have any power from the green or yellow wire that goes to the headlight.
Which was an issue before. - - -

Hi Mike,
um, you are aware that the XS650G and later headlight won't come on when you turn the key and that it comes on automatically when the engine starts?

The other day I went out to charge the battery and I noticed the ignition fuse seemed a little loose and when I reached down and just touched it on hale of the fuse holed broke off.
I was just reading where mikesxs sells a fuse box that looks like you just unplug your old
one and simply plug the new in in but I havent seen a plug on my old one but then I havent yet pulled all the tape off of it and dont really want to unless I know this one from mikes is going to fit. Anybody verify this for me?

yes mikesxs fuse box is a plug in but only after you graft the opposing part of the plug into your wiring harness. all the pieces come with it and it's actually pretty easy to install. I've done a couple of them and they work just fine. you'll still be using the old style glass envelope fuses but carry some spares with you and you'll be just fine. the usual problem with the original fuse box is not sot much the fuses as it is the small brass spring clips that hold the fuses in place. they break a lot. a new unit should be good for many years, even one of mikes.

Back