New worm gear question

twindallas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I bought the kit from Mike's and I have it installed. The problem I have is that the adjuster at the side cover sticks out too far, so I can't put the cover back on. What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

Is the necked end of the rod facing out? Does the rod fit in the "mikes" worm? I have heard of guys having to open up the hole a bit on the mikes worm the rod doesn't fit in.

The necked end is facing out, (and it's supposed to be, correct)? And yes, I had to drill the opening so the rod would fit in the new gear. I read somewhere on here that even the necked part had to go into the opening, so I wonder if it does? It would seem like it would have the opposite effect if it doesn't. If it didn't go in all the way, wouldn't the adjuster go in further, not stick out more??? Stumped!

The MikesXS worm assembly has a slightly finer thread pitch. To get this worm fully seated, install the worm by starting with it's lever arm pointing at about 4 o'clock. Reference these threads:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41413
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=318983&postcount=19
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=326307&postcount=119

And, like gggGary said, the ball retainer in the worm drive may not be open enuff to fit the pushrod's narrower end. Reference this post:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=325458&postcount=112

The first time I tried to put the cover back on it wouldn't go. So I enlarged the opening in the gear. Then it seemed to go right on, but the adjusting screw sticks out too far. I suppose the larger part of the rod may not be going in. I guess I'll take it back off and use a slightly larger bit. Does it make sense that the adjuster would stick out if the rod isn't seating all the way? I'll have to take the cover back off and see if I can tell what the hell's goin on:banghead:

Yes, if the rod wasn't going into the worm, the adjuster screw would go in farther, not stick out too much like yours. You didn't stick an extra ball in the worm did you? It comes with one "captured" in there by the crimps. You don't add a second.

New worm gear seems to be working well, but the adjustment screw still sticks out too far, so I can't put the cover back on. I drilled the new gear out so the rod will seat, but that didn't do the trick. I even tried putting it on upside down, and that didn't work. My engine is a 72/73 model. Could it be that the kit from Mike's is only for later year models? Still stumped.

OK, so the first pic is the worm gear that I removed from the bike, and the second is the one Mike's sells. Before I take the cover back off and see if I can use the old push screw with the new housing, can someone tell me if they are interchangeable. I heard they won't. The only broken piece on the old setup was the plastic housing.

Attachments

• 20120215_215455.jpg
    20120215_215455.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 214
  • mikes gear.jpg
    mikes gear.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 188
I think Angus was talking about "just the screw" change it from the outside. He wonders if the mikes SCREW was longer. AFAIK the worms ARE different 2minnie sez the worm pitch is different on the mikes units.

The nut on the old one looks fixed to the adjustment screw. In fact, the whole mechanism looks like a one piece unit. I'll try to break it loose, but I think I soaked it before and gave it a few raps, but that thing is on there. I'll try again tomorrow, thanks!

the lock nut and screw are two different pieces. Have you tried to adjust your clutch per the manual? Just wondering. It seems there is some mis-communication somewhere. I use mikes worm without issue on a 1980 motor.

So the push rod is sticking out of the case about 3", (at least 1" more than it should). What could be causing that, and what's the fix? I rode this bike up and down my street when I got it, and it was shifting in and out of gear fine, but the clutch lever was just hard to pull. All I did when I changed the worm gear was remove the rod to inspect and lube, and I put it back in place. Stumped again!

Yeah, 3" is a problem. The 1-piece pushrod measures 243mm (9-9/16") long.
Here's a cutaway of the clutch/mainshaft showing the pushrod.

ClutchCutaway.jpg

There's nothing of any significance in there to stop the last 1" of insertion.
Worst case scenario: May need to disassemble clutch to see what's in there...

Back