New xs owner

nikkib237

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi to all just got my first xs not original but looking to get her started bit of a learning curve and wiring nightmare

Attachments

• 77CCF76A-C658-406F-AE1B-DB3EBF8ECFB8.jpeg
    77CCF76A-C658-406F-AE1B-DB3EBF8ECFB8.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 105
Also having wiring nightmare looks like they had a go at doing the newtronic don’t know whether to strip it all out get a loom and all bits put it back to standard? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 😃
B2C3B10B-6BC7-4CD6-BEF5-F4907E6AA5EC.jpeg
4ADEC6CF-1BCD-4532-818E-1652B465BFD7.jpeg

Nice looking bike with some unique bits; lots of potential. I agree the wiring needs a good tidying. Can't really tell from the current pics if it needs done over from scratch or just "fixed". IMO getting an off--the-shelf loom won't help much (unnecessary connections in perhaps the wrong place, etc.) and a custom, homemade loom the best answer. If the Newtronic Ignition works, might as well try to retain it.

Many wiring diagrams - including "simplified chopper schemes" - here:
https://www.xs650.com/threads/some-wiring-diagrams.61/

Thanks 🙏 I’ve got a few concerns though this I don’t know much about View attachment 236743

Yes the wiring seems to be Works in Progress and the clutch side does not look stock
Inside the yellow circle there are ignition lock and regulator rectifier I assume
Perhaps capacitor for ignition any battery ?
I would try to start it with what is there first

More larger pictures helps ..

I think JP has it right.

Wiring nightmare at the moment but if you're gonna wake the bike up - ! - the easiest way will probably be choose a simplified chopper-type wiring diagram from Tech and just replace all the wiring. If you've done vehicle wiring before, simple. If not, great opportunity to learn because there's not an awful lot needed to get that bike fully electrified. Grab some coloured tracer wires, connections, wire cutters and a crimping tool. Photos, questions, there's lot's of people here that will help get 'er sorted. Cheers, Raymond

Welcome aboard.
All the above replies are valid.
Lots of willing advice can be had from the members.
Don't forget the Tech section as a good source of info too.
In my case I did a full rewire and built a harness from scratch for my custom XS650.
Never did that before, but with support from the forum and videos from YouTube, it wasn't so hard.
Don't fear the tasks ahead we are all here to help.

Not to pile on with the misery... but you're also missing a case stud nut. I'd give the rest of 'em a good look see.

... and those are broke off bolts, not studs. With a little luck a left hand drill bit will run 'em out pretty easy.

Untitled.png

So just generally looking over the bike and getting to know what’s what Iam not that happy with front cog ⚙️ it’s been welded on with spacer welded to compensate for wide back wheel 🛞 so what happens when the front cog needs changing any ideas? Is there a spacer set up that doesn’t need welding? Any thoughts or ideas I would be great full 😊 thanks
1FEA4A13-08C5-4316-AD9C-200C2D764629.jpeg
7C3A5A93-0554-47CC-BE7F-3066680EB319.jpeg
8CC625CC-E4AE-4FCD-BEF7-B89840FCABE9.jpeg
3C83FF3E-DFA6-4FA8-833A-FFF15616C7F9.jpeg

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question about sprockets & spacers but in the photo from above, it looks as though the spacer is a bit on the wide side ie holding the chain slightly too far out. Have you checked the chain alignment?

Front sprocket looks very nicely done, there was a small company/guy specialized in doing that Gary Poh?
Found his site but it smells of dust n cobwebs. ZERO pics of the conversion kit on a quick look about.
https://xs650widetire.webs.com/
prolly get someone to machine that apart and weld on another sprocket when the time comes.
The joys of custom bike ownership.
I'd be more worried about the type of PO you have, evidenced by the chicanery on that starter gear cover bodge up. That's not the only dodgy work you're going to find.
Were that in my garage I'd be opening motor covers and looking for, removing excess silicone seal BEFORE it blocked an oil passage................
you'd better buy a 6mm bottoming tap and hope like hell you don't have many stripped threads.

Last edited:
Back