New xs owner

Well reading through your comments honestly is the best place to start a gives me a bit of confidence in that I’ve picked a lemon but Iam learning as I go and to be honest I’ve never given an xs a second look but what I bike to learn on I think I could of done a lot worse thanks 🙏

My XS was definitely not as advertised, bought it online as a 'nice little runner' but it weren't, took a lot of time and money to get to where it's at now, plus a lot of help and encouragement from the good people here.

Like you, I had made the mistake of jumping in with both feet buying sommat I knew nothing about and certainly not the best starting point. But that's in the past and not only have I learned a lot but now have a bike which I know inside and out and that makes Miss November special to me. That involvement gives you a connection which money can't buy.

Link to Before and After: https://www.xs650.com/threads/before-and-after.55250/post-607102

Awesome looking chopper. I'm right there with you rewiring my bike. I had a thread here where after getting mine I did a "full" budget engine rebuild.
Finally redoing all the old wiring and keeping it outside the frame tubing. It may look cool to run your wiring through the frame but it's a pain to troubleshoot if anything gets funky like on mine!

My XS was definitely not as advertised, bought it online as a 'nice little runner' but it weren't, took a lot of time and money to get to where it's at now, plus a lot of help and encouragement from the good people here.

As was my ‘77 , bought it sight unseen from an out of state dealer, supposed to be ready to ride. In reality I had to work on that bike for months and do a lot of trouble shooting just to get there. All part of the deal with old machinery.

Seller; It just stopped running one day....
xspiston 017.jpg
Yeah this isn't looking good.
xspiston 019.jpg
hmm, might not be a tune and brrm project.
A bunch of wrenching later....
piston.jpg
So THAT'S why it doesn't run. :shootme:
This was a bike I bought with those exact words from the seller.
It stopped spinning when a valve head wedged between the crank shaft and the cylinder sleeve.
:doh:
It WAS cheap, came with a title, I didn't get hurt, and it makes a great story :laugh:.

Last edited:
Offsetting the engine is typically difficult to achieve, but you do have a custom frame, so perhaps it's possible. From the pics, it looks like the rear wheel might be a candidate for more offset by making spacers to move it to the right.

First step is to measure how much the countershaft sprocket has been offset vs. stock - the original guard plate over the shift shaft is still there for a reference. We know that a 3/8" offset replacement sprocket is available from CognitoMoto (well designed, quality stuff). They claim it fits with a 160 tire. It appears your rear tire is a 200 (~1.5" wider); a shame to lose that look, but maybe part of the answer.

And yes, per Gary, part of the answer may also involve a custom rear sprocket of the right size if a 34T -ish isn't available in the Triumph bolt pattern
so just had a look at wheels front is triumph and rear is zx7r kawa ninja

Like you, I had made the mistake of jumping in with both feet buying sommat I knew nothing about and certainly not the best starting point. But that's in the past and not only have I learned a lot but now have a bike which I know inside and out and that makes Miss November special to me. That involvement gives you a connection which money can't buy.

Link to Before and After: https://www.xs650.com/threads/before-and-after.55250/post-607102
Same story here.
After seeing my bike in a non-run state in a dealers 23 years ago; it was lust at first sight.
23 years later it came up on FleaBay advertised as ''Rides as good as it looks''.
I bought it following a few conversations with the seller; paid and had it collected by my delivery boys.
Turned out to be a 30 footer....Looked good at that distance.; but fraught with safety issues and ran terribly.
After more than a year of work it's now wonderful; and i cant wait for the Spring to ride it.
Build post here: https://www.xs650.com/threads/welsh-flat-track-revival.60449/

IMG_1862.jpeg
DSCF1464.JPG

Before, 1978 XS650SE, done up to a Triumph Thunderbird theme, and bought as allegedly a runner:

View attachment 147379

But the bike was not a runner and had a lot of hidden problems. That was end of May 2019. Below, 13th August 2019:

View attachment 147380

Sufficient issues dealt with for the bike to run, at last! Just back from it's first half-mile of running in who knows how long.

And the mock Triumph Thunderbird has gone, now a sort-of XS2 tribute.

Same story here.
After seeing my bike in a non-run state in a dealers 23 years ago; it was lust at first sight.
23 years later it came up on FleaBay advertised as ''Rides as good as it looks''.
I bought it following a few conversations with the seller; paid and had it collected by my delivery boys.
Turned out to be a 30 footer....Looked good at that distance.; but fraught with safety issues and ran terribly.
After more than a year of work it's now wonderful; and i cant wait for the Spring to ride it.

View attachment 237560 View attachment 237561
Is it possible these were assembled for display purposes? My very nice looking track needed a fair amount of fiddling too.

Same story here.

View attachment 237560 View attachment 237561

Such a tasty looking bike, one of my favorites! :geek:
2ABF2C81-87A2-4726-9E7E-8CC57EBF4AB7.jpeg

Is it possible these were assembled for display purposes? My very nice looking track needed a fair amount of fiddling too.
I guess in the guise I bought her my XS was impersonating a 1951 Triumph Thunderbird as ridden by Marlon Brando in the Wild One?

1951-triumph-thunderbird-650cc-motorcycle.jpg

But the job had, uhm, not been done very well. Ignoring the problemos on the inside, even the paint was poor. Currently, my poor old 1978 Special is playing at being a 1972 XS2 instead.

poor old 1978 Special is playing at being a 1972 XS2 instead.
And it looks good doing it! Doug Whittaker (RIP) had a '79 Special impersonating an XS-1. I wish I had a photo handy. The side covers were airbrushed with the badging. It looked great, cast wheels and all!

Update on the chopper I’ve took engine out going to strip the head check oil filter sump there seems to be a lot of sealant around the engine even the bolts in the head ? Not looking forward to the opening but I think Iam doing the right thing piece of mind
50C3833D-2787-4D4F-BAC1-7D99906918F8.jpeg
B957FE47-1986-496B-8CB4-E3970972922E.jpeg
54FF0A37-5F29-4501-9168-ACF0604372AB.jpeg
BE1DEBAA-35E1-4734-9E01-87C4E0BE6205.jpeg

Update on the chopper I’ve took engine out . . . I think Iam doing the right thing piece of mind
I think you're right. Now you've lifted the motor - jings, it's a heavy lump - there's lot you can check and put right. Like, the stack of washers under the dome nuts. Yamaha fitted steel/rubber composite washers but better to replace them with Suzuki copper washers.

You could think about swapping the sump with Smedspeed's which takes a spin-on filter?

https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-598561

:agree:You're definitely doing the right thing there👍

Ask questions on anything you're unsure about and sources for the best rebuild bits (trying best to use UK sources) - lots of help available 'round here

I think you're right. Now you've lifted the motor - jings, it's a heavy lump - there's lot you can check and put right. Like, the stack of washers under the dome nuts. Yamaha fitted steel/rubber composite washers but better to replace them with Suzuki copper washers.

You could think about swapping the sump with Smedspeed's which takes a spin-on filter?

https://www.xs650.com/threads/miss-november-xs2-tribute.55057/post-598561

The dome nuts don't look stock so be careful removing washers . Or the pins can bottom out inside the Dome
Not giving clamping force or push the top out of the Nut.

$1400 has bought you a pretty fine project. At the very start of this thread you have a photo of a cool looking bike. Focus on this photo, it shows the potential. As pointed out by others there are a few issues, but not too much to worry about. Just start with a list and detail the current issues. Before you know it you will be ticking the last item off your list.

Keep at it...:hump:

Thanks again for all replies another mad question every bolt I’ve took smells like it’s been in a fire now I’ve took cover off the clutch plates look burnt to me
64BE9CE2-1011-4002-B342-47AB659C1F50.jpeg
04C65BAD-0C17-42E3-8E0B-944269536A09.jpeg
62B21831-48A0-48A6-842E-CA4FDD6970E7.jpeg

Back