Newb on his second ride - Greetings

Do you prefer an original / stock or modded xs650?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nuke

Born to be free. Break the chains
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
this is just a greeting post.

I only started riding 3-4ish years ago, but I bought my first bike early 2016 (which wasn't the best first experience one could have). I bought a 1983 KZ440, which wasn't stock it was poorly modded and needed lots of work, but because I was too excited and naive I was lead to believe otherwise and trusted his word. Anyway, I've made some mistakes, wish I did things more efficiently time/$$ wise, but I will say I've learned quite a bit along the way.

Haters can hate but I fell pretty hard for the Cafe Racer look at first, although I found out it wasn't recommended for new riders, similar to sportbikes (which im not into), but because i'm stubborn I stuck with it and I think we did a decent job making it into a beautiful sleek cafe. I will say that leaning forward kind of sucked for longer rides. I mostly ride inner city but enjoy the odd backroad/across city trips. This time I was thinking more of an upright riding position like a tracker/scrambler deal, but I have to bulk up my bikes fund before I do any heavy mods. I might just ride my new xs650 as is. It's mostly stock right now.

I never was the mechanically inclined type in my earlier years, but luckily I have met 2-3 motorbike enthusiasts and I credit them for showing me the ropes and guiding me. But the online biker communities are always great and insightful, which is why I joined this forum. In the relatively few years I've jumped into this scene /hobby I heard great things about the xs650 almost immediately. Before I bought my first bike a distant friend recommended I get the xs650 (he rides a chopped out hardtailed xs650).

Unfortunately I departed from my last bike in unfavorable circumstances. At some point I discovered I had an oil leak in my kz440 head gasket(?) and it was one of the more difficult job$ to do, so I intended to either run it into the ground or try selling it at the turn of this last riding season (I'm in southern Ontario, Canada). Long story short I got into a (thankfully) minor accident in October 2019 where some idiot cager decided to turn left in front of me - bike wasn't totally smashed but was a write off. Luckily insurance didn't try low balling me like I expected them to and I was adequately compensated.

So I just bought my XS650 a few weeks ago, its a 1978 (SE?) model. Needs some love and a bit of work, but Im looking forward to riding this by the spring this year.
Maybe the potential comments below can tell me how long you've been riding, how many bikes you've owned, their current XS650 style/set up?
That's all I have to share right now.
Thanks for having me and happy riding.
Cheers!,
Nuke
(p.s photo's from a quick shot of it earlier today, in my garage. Not the best shot but I took it hurried)

Attachments

• xs650 78 early.jpg
    xs650 78 early.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 208
Welcome!

The XS is a great canvas to start from. So many parts out there, so many styles to choose from and you've found THE source of parts, information and pictures for everything XS.

Many of us are older/retired folks and have been riding for many, many years. More than 50 in my case and that's not a record here.

Be sure to take advantage of the information already here in the form of various stickies and the Technical Reference sub-forum. Lots of excellent reading there. When, inevitably, you still have questions, ask them. Folks here are knowledgeable and helpful and chances are at least one of us has dealt with any given problem before.

Welcome aboard! There's a strong Ontario contingent here, no doubt several will be along shortly to say hi.:cheers:
Lots of bikes, of nearly every type, including far off the wall. :unsure:
Looks like you've a good canvas there! Several tasteful and useful mods are evident.

Nuke, Great introduction as to your personal interests in the XS. A 78 XS is a great year to own and you can modify it to be about any style bike you desire. XS's are just about right in size and weight to be really fun "cafe" toys. You seem to want to ride for fun. There is no guilt in sacrificing a little long trip comfort if your interest is to play on short rides. An XS can be modified very easily to handle real well. Depending on your height and weight things like shocks, seat, and handlebars all come into play..
As a new XS650 com member You can start surfing the gallery pics for ideas ? And the tech threads for about any questions. That search bar is loaded is lots of reading.
We do really like pics and sharing tech answers. You do have Canadian members who will find you as well. Thanks for joining up and get ready for a great motorcycling experience ahead
;) -RT

Welcome to the party, Nuke! You're at the bestest place for everything you want to know about the Xs650! You should start with the "Tech" section (above). That will give you an idea of whet you're getting yourself into. :wink2: Next, get yourself as much reference material as you can. A Yamaha manual would be good. If you can't find one related to your year bike, try Chilton's or Clymer's manuals. They break your bike down into easy(er) to understand assemblies, with exploded view drawings, that give you perspective into how all the parts exist as one machine. And don't be intimidated! These motors are only slighly more complicated than a lawn mower. It takes something pretty awful for them to not run. Keep us updated often, and take lots of pictures (we're nosy! :laugh:). It looks like you've got a good starting point for your project. Just remember, a 40-year-old anything is going to need work, maintenance, and more work. Best of luck, cheers :cheers: and again, welcome!

In your survey you had two categories, Stock or modified. I have several XS650's Two are mostly stock. Will have a few mods, Ignition is the biggie. The 83 had a bad TCI box and pick ups when I got it. So it got a Pamco with E-advance. The 81 ran ok at first but the TCI box crapped out. It got a Pamco too. Air filters and exhaust work on both. Handle bars have been changed. Both may may get swing arm bushings and neck bearings. They don't need them yet. May sell them before that happens.
The other is my test bed. The 75 has had about everything done that is just a bolt on. I have not cut the frame in any way. I did add the mount for the rear disc brake M/C. This went along with the dual disc up front.
It has new swing arms bushings, neck bearings, The forks are from a combo of 78 up forks with new springs and the Minton mods on the dampers.
All custom wiring by my design. Halogen headlight. JED's in the tail/brake light and turn signals. With plans to upgrade the turns to have running lights all around as well as the rears work as brake lights.
Some minor port work in the heads. A rebuilt crank with all new bearings and rods with a 750 kit. The EX500 ninja carbs with Uni-filter foam filters. Home built exhaust headers and Emgo slash cut mufflers.
There were other not so noticeable mods but it runs great and is a blast to ride.
So I can say that I have experienced an XS650 from stock to mostly modified. The 75 is fun, the 83 is fun also. Just in a slightly different way. The 82 is fun like the 83 is. The 81 and 83 being mostly stock ride a bit softer and the handling isn't quite as precise but for longer rides they are more comfortable than the 75. The 75 with it's suspension isn't as comfy to ride but has more capability when cornering. Which is fun in the twisties.
For what your bike is I would suggest getting it roadworthy. Ride it awhile to figure out what needs to be fixed, like any engine running issues and electrical systems issues. Check the brakes, many small issues can be found there.These are the biggest thing on these bikes that give problem.
Once you have these things working and reliable, then on to handling, things like fork work, rear shocks, swing arm and neck bushings.
There are a few other wear items to be sure of, drive chain and sprockets. Changing out the rear is a popular thing to do. Smaller gives a bit smoother running at higher speeds, Larger gives you more around town zip.
A tooth or two is quite noticeable.
I guess I've ran on long enough, good luck with your ride.
Leo

Hey everyone,
this is just a greeting post.

I only started riding 3-4ish years ago, but I bought my first bike early 2016 (which wasn't the best first experience one could have). I bought a 1983 KZ440, which wasn't stock it was poorly modded and needed lots of work, but because I was too excited and naive I was lead to believe otherwise and trusted his word. Anyway, I've made some mistakes, wish I did things more efficiently time/$$ wise, but I will say I've learned quite a bit along the way.

Haters can hate but I fell pretty hard for the Cafe Racer look at first, although I found out it wasn't recommended for new riders, similar to sportbikes (which im not into), but because i'm stubborn I stuck with it and I think we did a decent job making it into a beautiful sleek cafe. I will say that leaning forward kind of sucked for longer rides. I mostly ride inner city but enjoy the odd backroad/across city trips. This time I was thinking more of an upright riding position like a tracker/scrambler deal, but I have to bulk up my bikes fund before I do any heavy mods. I might just ride my new xs650 as is. It's mostly stock right now.

I never was the mechanically inclined type in my earlier years, but luckily I have met 2-3 motorbike enthusiasts and I credit them for showing me the ropes and guiding me. But the online biker communities are always great and insightful, which is why I joined this forum. In the relatively few years I've jumped into this scene /hobby I heard great things about the xs650 almost immediately. Before I bought my first bike a distant friend recommended I get the xs650 (he rides a chopped out hardtailed xs650).

Unfortunately I departed from my last bike in unfavorable circumstances. At some point I discovered I had an oil leak in my kz440 head gasket(?) and it was one of the more difficult job$ to do, so I intended to either run it into the ground or try selling it at the turn of this last riding season (I'm in southern Ontario, Canada). Long story short I got into a (thankfully) minor accident in October 2019 where some idiot cager decided to turn left in front of me - bike wasn't totally smashed but was a write off. Luckily insurance didn't try low balling me like I expected them to and I was adequately compensated.

So I just bought my XS650 a few weeks ago, its a 1978 (SE?) model. Needs some love and a bit of work, but Im looking forward to riding this by the spring this year.
Maybe the potential comments below can tell me how long you've been riding, how many bikes you've owned, their current XS650 style/set up?
That's all I have to share right now.
Thanks for having me and happy riding.
Cheers!,
Nuke
(p.s photo's from a quick shot of it earlier today, in my garage. Not the best shot but I took it hurried)

Hi Nuke and welcome,
looks like you got a bargain. Better photos will bring more detailed advice and reveal the posters' prejudices.
Me? riding since 1956. Bikes? Mebbe 50 over the years. current ride? See my signature line.

Hi Nuke - I guess I am one of the Canadian contingent that Gary spoke about so I’ll start off by saying welcome, from Canada’s sunny southern coast in Windsor, ON! There are quite a few of us on the forum from southern Ontario (which town are you in BTW?) - your handle suggests perhaps Pickering, Darlington or up near the Bruce OPG plant....?

Here are a few key points I would make for a newby:
  • The stock XS650 is a very very nice bike to ride - so I’d suggest that you don’t go cutting it up too quickly before you get a chance to just ride it as-is. Specifically, I wouldn’t hard-tail it. Many folks who have done that find that they have taken a really nice old motorcycle and transformed it into an uncomfortable bone-shaking POS that doesn’t handle well and is so unpleasant to ride that they can’t ride for more than a few miles without pain. If you want a hardtail - watch the for sale adverts on this forum and you’ll find some of those failed “projects” - cheap. GIVE THE OLD GAL A CHANCE
  • Now, that isn’t to say that modifications are all bad. Most of us have modernized the ignition and charging systems and new steering head and swing arm bearings are also common. The engines are mechanically very durable and as long as you keep up with the (very simple) timing chain, valve and other small adjustments and keep the oil clean and pay attention to both oil filters (there are TWO in every XS650 engine), they’ll last darned near forever.
  • Parts are readily available on-line, through aftermarket vendors and even on this forum. The key thing is to let people know what you need BEFORE buying it and see what comes up. Lots of folks, including some of us Canadians, have extensive stocks of spares and they will often share them at very low cost.
  • Keep the forum informed about what you are doing - and post lots of photos. We like photos. Use the search function for major servicing and repair tasks. There are people on this forum who know more about these bikes than Yamaha did when they built them - use that knowledge and experience as a key asset.
  • Keep your sense of humour up - some folks :rolleyes: may tease a bit and some others may occasionally come across as a bit critical (remember, a lot of us are older chaps) but just about everyone means well and genuinely wants to help you enjoy your pretty new bike.
Finally, you really should try to attend the big Can. Vintage Motorcycle Group (CVMG) Rally in Paris, ON in June of this year.

The featured bike of this years Paris rally is the Yamaha XS650 so you will see some spectacular machines there that will inspire you and give you some great ideas for your own ride. A number of forum members will be there including some from outside of Canada, so it will be a great place to connect. There will also be a big swap meet and I am CERTAIN that there will be a bunch of XS650 stuff there for sale.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:
I voted for a stock XS, mainly because I really regret buying a non stock one, even though it was $150 bucks. Guy had a vision, but I don't see it.
don't feel bad -- when you get your stock one, this one will be the best purchase you ever made because you'll have a cheap source of parts!

they are still all over the place, just keep your eyes and ears open, or get a second job for awhile and buy one off the market

Welcome Nuke!

Glad to see you made it here. And dont worry the work you need to do on the bike so far is not bad at all. You've learned a lot from your last bike and are learning more as we go.

Had to come back after years of being away to welcome you. They are great bunch of people here with astounding amounts of knowledge. I couldn't have built my chopper without guidance from this place.

We got this. Your bike will be on the road in no time.

Welcome Nuke from Moncton NB. Love this site and people on here. It is my favourite forum of all the ones that I have been a member on. All nice people and very knowledgable. Check out the tech section and go thru each system on your bike to ensure all works properly. Have fun! JC

No " haters " here.... we all understand others desires and direction of their vison. I like cafe' style.. had several over the years. I'd get the bike running … ride it a season..get it squared away mechanically.... dur'n this time... visit other websites.. local events.. and determine the direction ..details.. for your project... start collection the needed bits... prepare them while you can still ride the bike..sit them aside... then once you have all the needed bits.... you can start the change and have everything... mostly..on hand.... with less "down " time.
Don't be intimated... concerned about lack of experincnce…. you have a wealth of knowledge here that can help. Once you solve a issue.. you'll be surprised to discover it wasn't that big a deal after all.
So... start your project.. post lots of photos .. we like photos... toss in a couple of scantily clad woman... (..0h, did I type that out loud ? ).. :)

Hey all,
First of all im very impressed by the responses I got here already. I can tell this is solid community of passionate riders!

Sorry for such delay in an update. These past months have been odd to say the least, & I don't mean to be full of excuses but it certainly hasn't helped with me getting the bike on the road. I'll be lucky if I manage to ride by mid August at this point never mind this year. But that's neither here nor there, I've accepted the fact that riding might not be feasible this year. The accident delayed me getting back on the bike and the COVID -19 thing has been a nuisance.

Anyway, I've managed to get a bit more work done on the bike. Nothing too exciting so far - im mostly focused on getting this bike safetied
here's a rough layout what I've done so far:
[x] New bulb headlight (H6024)
[x] Front brake lever (cb750)
[x] Electrical - Signals
[x] Fork seals
[x]Battery
[x]Replace tires (Kenda K761 Dual Sport TL)
[x] New Horn
[ ] Electrical - , electric start + horn?
[ ] Check horn issue
[ ] Headlight vertical adjustment
[ ] Seat lock * - not essential
[ ] Lube throttle linkeage
[ ] Seat cover/upholster - not essential
[ ] Cracked mufflers(check with shop for safety)
[ ] To buy - left airbox cover, left peg, prop rod,
[ ] Replace cotter pins with split pins? - canadian tire

(I may have erased a few tasks we've completed )

Looks like i'll have to replace my pipes, although it's mostly the mufflers that are in question. I was going to go for the scrambler high pipes but probably going for the Ascot 2 in 1 pipes at this point.
My problem : I ordered a new horn a while back, but turns out I didn't even need to order one because the original still works when I test it off the bike. When I hook it to the bike it makes a soft, weak horn sound. We ran through some of the electrical because we had to fix issues with my signal lights and the highbeam indicator light. All that has been settled, but my horn issue persist. Horn was noticed before we fucked with any electrical, and horn issue persist since we fixed my lights and mounted a new horn on. How should I go about solving this? any ideas

I got some new photos up, though they are a few weeks old.
xs650 1978(1).jpg
xs650 1978.jpg

Thanks in advance everyone.

Looking like a great start ! Too bad those mufflers died. Before you order new mufflers, wait about a week as there is a new lead on good mufflers coming here soon ! You have the "standard" head pipes which is good. -R
:cheers:

Hi Nuke - I guess I am one of the Canadian contingent that Gary spoke about so I’ll start off by saying welcome, from Canada’s sunny southern coast in Windsor, ON! There are quite a few of us on the forum from southern Ontario (which town are you in BTW?) - your handle suggests perhaps Pickering, Darlington or up near the Bruce OPG plant....?

Finally, you really should try to attend the big Can. Vintage Motorcycle Group (CVMG) Rally in Paris, ON in June of this year.

The featured bike of this years Paris rally is the Yamaha XS650 so you will see some spectacular machines there that will inspire you and give you some great ideas for your own ride. A number of forum members will be there including some from outside of Canada, so it will be a great place to connect. There will also be a big swap meet and I am CERTAIN that there will be a bunch of XS650 stuff there for sale.

Cheers,

Pete

Hey Pete/Gary. I'm from Hamilton, ON myself. & yeah! I noticed the CVMG Rally and was looking forward to going. It's too bad it got cancelled due to this covid-19 business. I'll definitely make it out next year. Maybe we'll cross paths then. Cheers!

BTW - regarding the horn issue, the horn works with direct 12v and all connections have been cleaned in the button and wiring

Back