Newbie Yamaha Questions

...which raises the question: Has anyone started a thread on motorcycling apparel ? Perhaps in the Lounge ?
For short jaunts to a local gathering, I sometimes wear these:
[ designed for NY Knick's Al Harrington's line of Protege basketball sneaks ]
View attachment 97358

Hi 'dude,
That was you? Not a sweatshop owner piecing little scraps of otherwise unusable material together?
Seriously though, not white toes. Every last little oil or grease leakage is gonna show on them.
To my shame, I wear my totally worn out garage shoes for local trips as the folks at Canadian Tire have a very relaxed dress code.
For riding to visit folks I know I wear the black leather zip-back "Brute boots" I bought for a bargain at the 1984 Toronto bike show.
If those boots wear out before I hang up my helmet I'll look for a pair of pull-on black leather engineer's boots like I had as a teenager.

Hi 'dude,
That was you? Not a sweatshop owner piecing little scraps of otherwise unusable material together?
Seriously though, not white toes. Every last little oil or grease leakage is gonna show on them.
To my shame, I wear my totally worn out garage shoes for local trips as the folks at Canadian Tire have a very relaxed dress code.
For riding to visit folks I know I wear the black leather zip-back "Brute boots" I bought for a bargain at the 1984 Toronto bike show.
If those boots wear out before I hang up my helmet I'll look for a pair of pull-on black leather engineer's boots like I had as a teenager.

haha......."piecing little scraps together"..... hahaha.
Yup that's Mister Stylish, me.

My bikes don't leak. :p

However, 95% of my miles on my bikes are with a pair of dress boots I bought 35 years ago, with a side zipper. The leather is rather thin and supple, so I can feel the shifter lever real good, especially while trying to find neutral :laugh2: Every year or two, I glue a new slab of leather onto the sole. I cant find a better boot for motorcycling.

ebay-5-007-jpg.96293

Last edited:
Hi 'dude,

...and the dirt bike calls for the Wolverines. Love those boots, especially for running the Stihl MS 261.

1975xs650 002.JPG

My bikes don't leak. :p

Hi 'dude,
yeah, right. The only way for an XS650 not to leak is not to put oil in it.
Well not leak like a Britbike or REALLY leak like a pre-war Velocette but it'll leak a drop or two, here and there, for sure.
And the umpteenth corollary of Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives plainly states that no matter how small the leak is or what part of the bike it leaks from, that drop of oil will flow directly onto your footwear's white toe-caps.

Last edited:
Hi 'dude,
yeah, right. The only way for an XS650 not to leak is not to put oil in it.
Well not leak like a Britbike or REALLY leak like a pre-war Velocette but it'll leak a drop or two, here and there, for sure.
And the umpteenth corollary of Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives plainly states that no matter how small the leak is or what part of the bike it leaks from, that drop of oil will flow directly onto your footwear's white toe-caps.

Fred,

You certainly know yer laws ! :D
Come to think of it, my '75 has the "dump the the oil breather mist onto the chain" tube. But its behind my clean white toes, haha. When I get it on the road this year, we'll see if it creeps forward.

Y77, long time no hear. Did you ever sort that issue about the front brake and the after market tail light? What master cylinder size did you settle with, 11mm? Would be nice to hear, or did you decide to keep everything stock? I envy your new Kawasaki Z900 - I used to fancy then in the 70s, probably because the seat was low enough for me to sit on and touch the ground.

Back