Newly painted tank

In my opinion, it's not the decals, it's the paint underneath that is gassing off. Remember this started with a curing problem with the paint. I believe it's soft all the way down. Why? could be bad catalyst, could be a bad ingredient in the base, hard to tell.
The side covers, headlight bowl and ears are all OK, just the tank but he did say he'd stuck a ton of lacquer on it to cover the decals well.

Those bubbles are mostly where there was a light dent so I'm wondering if it is exactly that jp, filler that wasn't fully cured?

I'm pretty annoyed about it all now, I'm not sure where the responsibility lies with supplying new decals as I sent these with all the parts to be painted.
If I painted it, I would eat the decals. The shop should be 100% responsible, and I say that as a shop owner.

Well if you want perfect and he's willing to redo his work gratis, the decals are small potatoes in the big scheme of things.
Helps the painter to know you're willing to bleed a bit to get perfection also.
The repaint is going to take a while cuz he WILL give it some time to let the solvents dry out before top coating.

I've emailed him and had a reply to say return it and he'll sort it even as far as a full respray if needed. I'll double check the rest but I see no point returning them if OK unless he needs a iece to check colour with

As someone who builds/repairs things for people at the high/custom end of the spectrum for a living. If it ain’t right, it ain’t right. 100% on him to fix and make right. Paint, decals, The whole deal. And you go first in line.

At least that’s my way of doing business. I charge for perfection in my day to day and take my time to do it right to make sure I never see it again. If they don’t like that, they can go elsewhere.

He shouldn’t have delivered it uncured in the first place.

To be fair he has said he's not happy if Im not happy and will redo it all at his cost, I feel bad about it but hey
No decent person likes to see others have trouble, but it's part of this business. It could very well be problem with the paint itself. If so he'll have to work that out with his supplier. Hope it works out well for all.

Back