Nicer replacement foot controls??

Ahmed Taleb

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the process of finishing off my '73 build and I'd love to find some 'nicer' replacement foot controls. I plan on using the stock footpegs but I was curious if anyone has come across CNC shift or foot brake levers that operate exactly as stock (ie. mounted to the same splines etc.)? Every search I've done turns up dozens of rearset options but nothing designed to replace the stock controls.

Has anyone seen such a thing? Thanks in advance!!

Hi All,

I'm in the process of finishing off my '73 build and I'd love to find some 'nicer' replacement foot controls. I plan on using the stock footpegs but I was curious if anyone has come across CNC shift or foot brake levers that operate exactly as stock (ie. mounted to the same splines etc.)? Every search I've done turns up dozens of rearset options but nothing designed to replace the stock controls.

Has anyone seen such a thing? Thanks in advance!!
I had a look around the InterWeb but came up empty.
I changed to Cognito Moto rear-sets which use the stock mounting points.
They give a better position with far more adjustment.
Not a stock look tho'
Ads.

I hear you AdamC...I've settled on a tracker-style seating position so rear-sets would be a little odd. But, yes, there is no shortage of good-looking machined rearsets. The search contiues...

I hear you AdamC...I've settled on a tracker-style seating position so rear-sets would be a little odd. But, yes, there is no shortage of good-looking machined rearsets. The search contiues...
My feeling is that pegs moved back 4 to 7 inches and to be under the riders weight would be perfect. Look at (ride) a good motocross bike to understand the "peg under the rider" stance that I prefer. Rear sets have their place on certain bikes but I am more about everyday control.

Hi Ahmed
My bike is a tracker. Previous owner had modded the frame to take some sh*t cheap rear-sets that didn't work for me.
I had to grind of the welded plate to accommodate the Cognito Kit; which is superbly engineered.
As I'm well over 6'2'' with long legs I needed a lower set back peg position.
It now works great for me.
FOOT MOUNT.PNG
FOOT MOUNT.2.PNG
FOOT MOUNT.3.PNG

FOOT MOUNT.4.PNG

Hi Ahmed
My bike is a tracker. Previous owner had modded the frame to take some sh*t cheap rear-sets that didn't work for me.
I had to grind of the welded plate to accommodate the Cognito Kit; which is superbly engineered.
As I'm well over 6'2'' with long legs I needed a lower set back peg position.
It now works great for me.
View attachment 215234 View attachment 215235 View attachment 215236

View attachment 215237
I assume the stock kickstarter won't clear those footpegs, even when folded up?

I believe cognito said it will clear the foot peg when folded up, but not the brake pedal toe. So like a 3/4 kick, or bend the stock kicker

Yes, I have a bunch of Cognito parts on my build - they make great stuff! I was originally planning on making my own mounting plates for the pegs to position them more under the rider as well but I keep running into clearance issues with the pipes. I liked the position tough so I may have to go back to the drawing board to see if I can make it work.
20170728_101235.jpg
20170729_112949.jpg

I believe cognito said it will clear the foot peg when folded up, but not the brake pedal toe. So like a 3/4 kick, or bend the stock kicker
Hmm,
Those pegs look very wide. I have the same pegs, on home made brackets. And my stock kickstarter would hit the brake lever itself, or the lever would hit the footpeg mounting nuts. So I filed down the backside of both brake and gear lever, as they both are very beefy, to say the least. That way, I just managed to clear the mounting nuts and made the kicker clear the lever itself also, but it was a tight squeeze. And I did not use the stock type domed nuts, but some 12 point flanged Ti nuts from Pro-Bolt. That helped a bit with the clearance. I see you are using domed cap head screws, as your stock studs had been cut off. That gives you even more clearance for the inside of the brake pedal, of course.

Last edited:
As for footpeg positioning. Being just a bit over 5'9", I find that footpegs located between the 2 stock studs, and a little more to the rear, is giving me neutral/ semi sporty ergonomics. My handlebar is an LSL Superbike low, with approx. 2" rise. That is pretty much my ideal riding position for a naked bike, even at the rather advanced age of soon 58....

Back