Niche cycle

I've bought from them several times. Always shipped fast. Only problem I ever had with one of their items is the wiring harness for my XS2. I had to add the kill switch/e-start wires. Plus some of the connectors were not in the exact same place. On my next XS2 I will buy another one from them. Not that big a deal to add the necessary wires compared to building a harness from scratch. I think it's really a XS1/1B harness.

That "big bore kit" is interesting. Need more info on what is involved in installing it.... Do those LA sleeves fit the stock liner bore or do they require boring the jugs before they go in? I'm assuming an engine shop will need to do a bore/hone of the installed liners to final dimensions before install? Inquiring minds...
Some interesting exhaust systems also.

When I installed my Shell 750 kit, you had to drop the stock sleeves out (in the oven) and the get the block bored for the sleeves to fit (again a job for the oven) Then you had to have the sleeves bored to the piston tolerances. It's easy if you have access to a boring bar.
I seem to remember that the sleeves Shell sold were from LA Sleeve.

A mikes XS comparison. Doesn't sell as a kit, but can put one together buying the parts with a Wisco 80mm piston.

Mikes XS..........770cc. 80mm wisco pistons, (8.4-1), rings, pin, sleeves, gaskets.........$525.00
Nitche Cycles...770cc. 80mm wisco pistons, (10.5-1), rings pin, sleeves, gaskets.........$465.00

That "big bore kit" is interesting. Need more info on what is involved in installing it.... Do those LA sleeves fit the stock liner bore or do they require boring the jugs before they go in? I'm assuming an engine shop will need to do a bore/hone of the installed liners to final dimensions before install? Inquiring minds...
Some interesting exhaust systems also.

When I installed my Shell 750 kit, you had to drop the stock sleeves out (in the oven) and the get the block bored for the sleeves to fit (again a job for the oven) Then you had to have the sleeves bored to the piston tolerances. It's easy if you have access to a boring bar.
I seem to remember that the sleeves Shell sold were from LA Sleeve.

Your Question: big bore kit is interesting. Need more info on what is involved in installing it.... Do those LA sleeves fit the stock liner bore or do they require boring the jugs before they go in? I'm assuming an engine shop will need to do a bore/hone of the installed liners to final dimensions before install? Inquiring minds...

Answer: You nailed it. The sleeves will need to be installed by a machine shop. The shop will have to bore the jugs, install the new sleeves, and then hone the sleeves to the proper clearance of the pistons. Its a pretty involved modification.

upload_2021-6-14_15-33-26.png

Compared to another familiar vendor, the difference is quite significant!
upload_2021-6-14_15-37-20.png

I did all the work except for boring the cylinder and then boring the sleeves. I don't remember is just honing was enough. I used my oven and freezer at home. The original sleeves will drop out of the cylinder if 'cooked' in the oven. You'll hear when the cylinder drops down. It's easy except for the 2 stints on the boring bar. Our service manager did all the shop boring. But of course if a person has unlimited $$$ let a shop do it all. I know a few of members on this forum who could/would do this job.

I did all the work except for boring the cylinder and then boring the sleeves. I don't remember is just honing was enough. I used my oven and freezer at home. The original sleeves will drop out of the cylinder if 'cooked' in the oven. You'll hear when the cylinder drops down. It's easy except for the 2 stints on the boring bar. Our service manager did all the shop boring. But of course if a person has unlimited $$$ let a shop do it all. I know a few of members on this forum who could/would do this job.
I am thinking of doing this upgrade. Who can do the boring? Already have the sleeves out of the cylinder (thanks to Jim). Anyone near Atlanta? I have not bought the sleeves or pistons yet.

Find an "indy". shop that has a boring bar. Some machine/auto shops also. Find a Harley speed shop.
Good luck.

If you want to know who does good machine shop work in the Atlanta area, post a message for desmoman900. Some bike shops may do enough bore jobs to keep things fresh, but in many cases they do so few jobs that it doesn't pay to keep the equipment in good shape and the operator's skills sharp. There aren't many things more aggravating than measuring your freshly bored cylinder and finding that it's tapered, egg-shaped, or bored wide.

Back