No Muffler Gasket Found on Right Side. Any Substitute?

smg65

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Know how when you see a bike you want, you tend to look at it through rose-colored glasses? And after you own it for a short while you realize every Phillips head screw has been rounded off, among other problems? Well... that's me... hopefully not you!

Anyway... I'm going through everything (slowly) on the bike (1976 XS650C) and thought I'd take the (stock) exhaust apart this morning to check it all out. There is no muffler gasket on the right side! :mad: I know MikesXS has the gasket... but sheesh, I'd love to put it back together today. Has anybody found a substitute for the muffler gasket?? At least for the short term? BTW.. that muffler nut was not frozen... it came right off easily by hand. I suppose that shouldn't have been a surprise, given the missing gasket. I'll see what kind of response I get here, and if no suggestions come up, I'll order the gasket from MikesXS.

Thanks!!

Solved! The old Yamaha dealer in Columbus actually had 6 of the old, original part number in stock. I know I paid more, but at least I'm on my way for the weekend.

You know, I thought about buying them, but they were twice the price. I suppose the price I pay for immediate gratification! Also, it was good to find the actual original part. I've found some other OEM parts by canvassing dealers, but sometimes the price is prohibitive for me. I may regret not buying all of them the next time I remove and reinstall the system!

Of course no shipping cost at the dealer. But I paid $20 for the 2 gaskets.... twice the price. If I had bought 6 from Mike, it would have been about $40, including shipping. But I wanted them "right now"... and I was sure they're the original real deal.

Back