No oil pressure, turns over slow with full battery.

Eurotas

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought my first 78. The bike has been sitting for many years and I tried to see if I could get it going with no luck. I tried to boost it with my van and I noticed to turns over pretty slow. What would cause that? I also took the valve cover off and noticed it was bone dry. Absolutely no oil was making its way to the head. The oil was full and clean. I'm stumped. Where do I start? Is this going to need a rebuild?

Pull the plugs out so the starter has an easier job of it. Spin it over again and after about 30sec or so you should start seeing oil inside the head.

Before you do that, what ignition does it have? If it's an aftermarket electronic, you'll want to reconnect the ht leads to the plugs and ground 'em so you don't damage the electronics. If it's the original points system, don't worry about it.

Pull the plugs out so the starter has an easier job of it. Spin it over again and after about 30sec or so you should start seeing oil inside the head.

Before you do that, what ignition does it have? If it's an aftermarket electronic, you'll want to reconnect the ht leads to the plugs and ground 'em so you don't damage the electronics. If it's the original points system, don't worry about it.
I had already taken the plugs out before hand and it still turns over very slow. Tried a few times turning it over and there was no oil. I'm wondering if the timing is off or the starter is just weak.

Did you squirt a little oil in the plug holes.... lube the piston and rings?

If you're sure you have a good strong battery, I'd start cleaning up some terminals... battery, solenoid and starter.

Back