North and South

pamcopete

Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple
Reaction score
Here is a picture from South Carolina taken this morning. The Sunny South. Anybody riding today north or south of South Carolina, post a picture.

sunny south.jpg

Unseasonably horrid situation here 20 miles north of the 45th parallel @ 3400 ft asl..... no riding today:(

Attachments

• DSCF2160.jpg
    DSCF2160.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 301
  • DSCF2163.jpg
    DSCF2163.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 312
Sure 'nuff. You're boxed-in with 8 inches of .....................Prarie grass?

I do have a county road out front.

You call that snow?????? :laughing: Come on up here to the mountains of NC and I'll show you snow. :yikes: I'm looking at 12" in the last 24 hours.

Aaaaaaaand you can keep it!:thumbsup: I did say (type) unseasonably though. We have been known to get 'bout 24" per year....................................also occasionally perpetual freezing fog/hoar frost/ice, and not seeing the sun for 75 days........oh yeah, not to mention the Road Dept here spreads gravel liberally 'till the end of March.

Guess I'll ride this tomorrow.......:D

Attachments

• S4025107.JPG
    S4025107.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 283
Are you kiddin'?? Nuthin' can contain this sh*t!

Seriously, after a night with freezing fog a 6 ft chain link fence can look solid white with hoar frost, depending on the angle at which it's viewed. Even a light wisp of a breeze is sufficient for accumulation. The more time spent in this , er...haze, day or night, below freezing increases coverage...........the best I can compare it to is: horizontal stalagmites of ice. repeated.......EVERYWHERE......

:cheers:That hoar frost looks cool. I'm surprised we don't get anything like that here, but the conditions have to be just right, eh? We just get snow. Lots and lots of snow. That's why they call this area the "Snow belt". Lake effect snow off Lake Ontario can pile up 4 FEET in a 24 hr. period. First vehicles off the road are SUVs, 'cause they think they're invincible. No, there is no riding here now. 'Tis the season to rebuild in the safety of a garage, cuddle up to the wood stove, and crack a beer...

"Hoar Frost" - Yankee term for Rime Ice. Nothing new.

"So, what’s the difference between hoar frost and rime ice? It all has to do with how the ice crystals formed: hoar develops when water vapor freezes, going directly from the gaseous state to the solid, while rime forms where supercooled liquid water droplets freeze on contact with cold surfaces. If it goes from gas to solid, it’s hoar frost. If it goes from liquid to solid, it’s rime."

http://cathybell.org/2013/01/02/hoar-frost-and-rime-ice-whats-the-difference/

Sure.....A "Yankee" term...:er::laughing:

Would if I had something to ride. Here in SC it is not to bad, no real snow sticking to the roads. Time to head out to the cold shop and get to work.

I'm 30 mins NW of Syracuse NY and I can tell you now the latest I've ever ridden was November. January I don't stand a chance.

Frost on the ground? Yup.
Snow? hell no. People forget how to drive in that shit every year. Even if I trusted the machine, my fellow motorists are liabilities.

Posted via Mobile

Frankly, it's a matter of humidity. Not much of it here in the central Oregon high desert, what with all this......prairie grass:)D). That lake effect snow on the east coast, both north AND south of the Mason Dixon line, right now sure is impressive. I'd just rather watch it on tv........Be safe and stay warm everyone!

I'm not as far left as you might think...

What else ya got?.....This better be good!..........:laughing::popcorn:

I'm sitting just east of lake Ontario after the northern Jetstream, and not complaining. Its been a mild winter so far. Last year part of niagra falls froze for fucks sake, and I went through 12 cord keeping warm. This year has been a pussycat. I feel blessed after being pounded the last two years.

Posted via Mobile

It's in the 30's today so no riding. In the garage putting on the new fork gaiters. It will be in the 50's tomorrow so I'll be able to take it for a quick jaunt.

We get Hore frosts in NZ, especially down south. Can get so bad a after a week of cloudy weather and repeated Hore frosts the fences have been known to fall over and power lines snap.

I'm 30 mins NW of Syracuse NY and I can tell you now the latest I've ever ridden was November. January I don't stand a chance.

Frost on the ground? Yup.
Snow? hell no. People forget how to drive in that shit every year. Even if I trusted the machine, my fellow motorists are liabilities.

Posted via Mobile

Nailbomb, didn't you get the bike out the day before Christmas, last year? It was in the upper 60's in CNY. I took a 6 hour drive that day. Maybe it was cooler up there near the lake....I'm 25 minutes SW of Syracuse.

Back