Not going to abandon my girl!

suxelp

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
Recently I was contomplating buying a new bike as time has ran away and I kind of left the ol gal in the garage and everytime i have two seconds to actually ride i know i need to do some work first... I have come to my senses and am going to put the money into the house/garage and get back on getting my XS back on the road, hopefully by next year! I would like to go something similar to bigstick1973's pictures that he posted in the callandar thread, also Tim's bike, reason being they look quick nice to me and it would seem from first look that there are no major frame re-works to do.

Wish there was someone that wanted to mentor me through it :D but really any advice woudl be greatly appreciated if anyone could recommend how to go about it.... what i mean is things like what to do when removing the air boxes, such as other fuel delivery changes needed, i would also like to get rid of the pipes the previous owner put on and go for something with a bit more beafy sound which again i suppose would have a knock off effect on fuel delivery.

I did do a rephase on the bike. allthough the machine shop that i used, supposedly with engine knowledge, did mess up my crank shaft so may need a new one there, i think it is slightly off still! I have also changed the charging system as per my footer.

My general list is:
1) new cam chain guide, last ride i cut short as it sounded like it may have broke! if not then it is something else so motor is coming out and checked, will replace any recommended parts/seals
2) get rid of those airboxes and clean up the look a bit, will make a new electronics tray under seat. which i do like the seat that is on it now and it will fit under there nicely
3) contimplating guage change, might like one of those minimal digital bar top ones.
4) love the look of upside down forks!
5) I have asked heiden tuning about a re-build so may end up having engine works there if i can swing it!
6) am going to clean up frame and have it power coated

thats it really.... not much at all :) after i figure out if i can do this, or how much of it i can do with a 3k budget i will most definately do a build thread. I guess i am just waffling out what is in my head by writing this post lol
take care all!

If you are unsure of whether your crank is any good, maybe the first thing to do is to get the bike running as it sits and make sure that is good before firing up the sawzall.

Back