Not Really Sure...

Hey Captmandel---You are in Ashville,NC. One of the long time XS650 guy's in the US is right there. If you have not tried Hugh's Handbuilt , get there and find some help..........

tim

Thanks for the replies. Gonna have to take a break from trouble shooting for a day or two as I have work and my parents are in town. I’m excited to try everyone’s suggestions.

Funny enough I ran into Hugh at a local auto parts store while I was buying some parts and tools to help me on this journey. He was really cool and we exchanged info but I don’t wanna bother him with my small fry problems. :)

I am leaning more toward fuel related problems A bike that has been sitting for two years, would need the tank flushed and cleaned out as well the carbs cleaned. God only knows what dried up goop is in the system. If you are using a fuel filter, this may also be partially plugged and causing symptoms like you describe. As far as electrical goes... check every connector. Disconnect and reconnect any connectors and fuses that you can easily get at in the ignition circuit. Corrosion can get into these connections. Exercising these electrical connections can loosen up the corrosion.

Thanks for the replies. Gonna have to take a break from trouble shooting for a day or two as I have work and my parents are in town. I’m excited to try everyone’s suggestions.

Funny enough I ran into Hugh at a local auto parts store while I was buying some parts and tools to help me on this journey. He was really cool and we exchanged info but I don’t wanna bother him with my small fry problems. :)

No one here seems to consider any issue however small a nuisance. My experience of everyone here is they just want to help.
Nice family to be a part of.

update, checked the coils, they are fine.

I also ran the bike with the gas cap open and that seemed to fix it. But then after i ran it with the gas cap open it wouldnt die, even with the gas cap shut. i guess im going to pull the carbs and clean them and the jets.

I have the carb guide open, but im wondering if you can tune the carbs by ear/ feel rather than with a manometer? I think maybe the right side is getting less fuel than the left.

Perhaps consider using a carburetor cleaning chemical I have never used them myself but heard of
people that does ..please google
It seems as there is progress .. And upstart problems is not uncommon
Cleaning carburetors is sometimes needed . But I have not done it many times
Adjusting synchronization can be difficult and cause more problems than it solves at this point in time
Inspection of the spark plugs is the way forward.
But been sitting 2 years it can offer a bit resistance
I / We don't know how i ran going in

Back