gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
This followed me 200 miles, home tonight
20200504_194020.jpg

signal-2020-05-03-115334.jpg

2002 68,000 miles died on the guy, in Thunder Bay, Ontario. Most likely suspect is the Hall effect crank sensor for ignition firing. Technically the sensors are fine but wire insulation was made of cat spit and sawdust so all 5 wires start to cross talk leading to um BIG tow bills and Staggering BMW dealer charges. He elected to sell AS IS instead.
Bike was owned 4 years and about 8,000 miles I counted up $5,700 of Dealer service and parts in that time. Note ALL work on the bike has been dealer performed even installing a RAM mount. That is NOT including the diagnosis and towing charges for the "final straw"
Ever the optimist he has a near new BMW arriving any day now.
So we'll see if ole gggGary can bring it back with no more than my shop time and $10 worth of wire.
The good news is the job is extremely well documented on the web, though bit labor intensive.
(start by removing all the tupperware), then gas tank and alternator.
Miss Allison and Pepper came along, we got in some hiking in newly reopened Rib Mountain state park.
spring farm.jpg
20200504_154700.jpg
20200504_154314.jpg
20200504_154048.jpg
20200504_143836.jpg

20200504_154500.jpg

Will unload in the morning.. Took Ywain off the lift today, we'll see how long this takes.....

Once upon a time (50-plus years ago) BMW built workhorse motorcycles with the easist vehicle electrics in the world; everything hooked up to a power distribution strip behind the battery box. The rest of the machine was dead simple to work on too; at different times between 1968 and 1975 I had three /2 series Beemers, and not one of them ever saw the inside of a shop. Then they had to get cute. Which set of ubermenschen do you blame for that, Gary--marketing, engineering, or a conspiracy involving both?

Only my second Beemer, like all my bikes purchased with an "issue".
This looks to be a cream puff at 68,000 miles, should be good for say another 50K-60K without going into the engine for a refresh. Oil head BMWs are "easy" top jobs to get the bike to say 200K miles?
BMW bikes and cars are both marketed to a wealthy clientele. Riders want exclusivity and the feeling of belonging to a club, no Hoi polloi wanted. Like Harley without the ass chaps and do-rags LOL. You seldom see A BMW rider that isn't wearing a BMW jacket so you know his status even off the bike.:rolleyes:
The major downfall of the Vaunted German engineering is the German engineering mindset. We make no mistakes, you are not worthy of our genius. LOL
Actually having also owned a Mercedes van one major PIA is BOSCH! they used to be a great product then in cost cutting they discovered China. Wow we can get top dollar for this stuff, made for pennies. But they apparently did not do their homework and install powerful German inspectors in the Chin-con plants, those lying cheating bastards are amazing at "cutting corners" til the parts are failure prone. So the glitch here shouldn't be a major one, like all tupperware bikes it's getting to the problem that takes most of the time.
MY experience with the K1200 was mostly positive, lets see:
It had a couple of mechanical weak points that weren't "that bad" to fix. Defective brake lines WERE hard to forgive. I danced by some other weak spots that could be tougher to deal with. It was freak'n heavy, riding position was cramped for my lanky and aging bod. But man if you had to ride in the rain it was freaking AWESOME I could ride a downpour and be bone dry Seriously My bud on a Kawi Concours was drenched and I was barely damp in a couple small spots on several different wet riding days. Bought with 120K, fixed and sold on with 130+ K in better shape than when I got it.
This bike is so well farkled it would probably part out for more than the purchase price. but the plan is to do at least one camping tour this summer.
It's 615 pounds wet so about 250 less than the K bike or the Yammy venture. Bout the only thing missing is cruise control. :geek:
Ps even with bike and trailer running 65 plus, Prius was getting high 30's MPG

Last edited:
I've started riding BMWs in 1983, 79 R100T. Put a lot of miles on that bike. Tires, oil changes and tune ups. Only repair I ever had to do was replace a carb diaphragm. Guess what 4 screws and a plate attach it to the slide. Bought my current one in 1994, 83 R100RT. It has never let me down. I let it down by parking it for 10+ years. Now it runs as well as it ever did.
I have to admit I never cared for the K models or any of the Rs after the airheads. I like a more basic bike.
You seldom see A BMW rider that isn't wearing a BMW jacket so you know his status even off the bike.
I've never owned a BMW jacket. I did once have a nice T-shirt does that count?:poke:

I've never owned a BMW jacket. I did once have a nice T-shirt does that count?:poke:
long as it has battery acid holes like the XS650 ones.

Actually the Beemer forums are full of good ole boys that DIY
The Northern IL beemer club has awesome youtube videos on about every BMW repair known to man.

Only my second Beemer, like all my bikes purchased with an "issue".
This looks to be a cream puff at 68,000 miles, should be good for say another 50K-60K without going into the engine for a refresh. Oil head BMWs are "easy" top jobs to get the bike to say 200K miles?
BMW bikes and cars are both marketed to a wealthy clientele. Riders want exclusivity and the feeling of belonging to a club, no Hoi polloi wanted. Like Harley without the ass chaps and do-rags LOL. You seldom see A BMW rider that isn't wearing a BMW jacket so you know his status even off the bike.:rolleyes:
The major downfall of the Vaunted German engineering is the German engineering mindset. We make no mistakes, you are not worthy of our genius. LOL
Actually having also owned a Mercedes van one major PIA is BOSCH! they used to be a great product then in cost cutting they discovered China. Wow we can get top dollar for this stuff, made for pennies. But they apparently did not do their homework and install powerful German inspectors in the Chin-con plants, those lying cheating bastards are amazing at "cutting corners" til the parts are failure prone. So the glitch here shouldn't be a major one, like all tupperware bikes it's getting to the problem that takes most of the time.
MY experience with the K1200 was mostly positive, lets see:
It had a couple of mechanical weak points that weren't "that bad" to fix. Defective brake lines WERE hard to forgive. I danced by some other weak spots that could be tougher to deal with. It was freak'n heavy, riding position was cramped for my lanky and aging bod. But man if you had to ride in the rain it was freaking AWESOME I could ride a downpour and be bone dry Seriously My bud on a Kawi Concours was drenched and I was barely damp in a couple small spots on several different wet riding days. Bought with 120K, fixed and sold on with 130+ K in better shape than when I got it.
This bike is so well farkled it would probably part out for more than the purchase price. but the plan is to do at least one camping tour this summer.
It's 615 pounds wet so about 250 less than the K bike or the Yammy venture. Bout the only thing missing is cruise control. :geek:
Ps even with bike and trailer running 65 plus, Prius was getting high 30's MPG
Thats the truth BMW'S fairings are 2nd to none...as good as Hondas are Beemers are even better...you'll have that running in no time...

I restored a 1977 R100/7 , I loved that bike. It did have some issues, the front brake had a very wooden feel, the forks were very compliant but dove like a submarine when you grabbed the front brake, but it was smooth and fast.
The forks were un necessarily complicated to rebuild and there was very little available in the way of aftermarket parts, most stuff either had to be bought from a BMW dealer $$$ or used parts from EBay , still $$$.
I paid more for a complete rebuild kit for the two Bing carburetors than I paid for two complete brand new Amal’s for my old Bonneville!
Still love the old airheads though, when I used to go to vintage bike shows here, the bikes being shown were pristine British and Japanese restorations, but the parking lot was full of old BMWs that were still daily riders!
40478A12-9E32-413D-96C0-24E6C2900D6B.jpeg
4F0871AB-E4E6-4BB1-857A-C7807D22EB47.jpeg

My favorite touring BMWs' are the Mid 90's K1100s..Those bikes were just amazingly excellent touring bikes...You hardly can find them forsale these days..but they're out there.....Not mine..but I would love to find one...1996 K1100LT

bmw-k1100lt-1996-moto.jpeg

Got it off the trailer. Tried the key, it fired right up! Ran it up and down the road, runs good!
But that's kinda typical of the Hall sensor issue, comes n goes, til it don't work at all.
full farkles heated grips n a heated sergeant seat (adjustable height) floor boards front n rear. electric windshield, pulse headlight for visibility. No cruise control darn it. Set up for a radio but that's not in it's compartment, even has a full flat repair kit with spark plug adapter.
Mailman, calling the mailman!
Yeah Max! there was a nice K100 in the UP going cheap a couple years ago but I managed to resist.

Got it off the trailer. Tried the key, it fired right up! Ran it up and down the road, runs good!
But that's kinda typical of the Hall sensor issue, comes n goes, til it don't work at all.
full farkles heated grips n a heated sergeant seat (adjustable height) floor boards front n rear. electric windshield, pulse headlight for visibility. No cruise control darn it. Set up for a radio but that's not in it's compartment, even has a full flat repair kit with spark plug adapter.
Mailman, calling the mailman!
Yeah Max! there was a nice K100 in the UP going cheap a couple years ago but I managed to resist.
Love all the farkles..thats a very comfortable ride...even with just 2 cyls..might be a little underpowered but it is the overall complete package that makes BMWs sooo nice... You're gonna love it...

A local friend of mine wanted me to buy his 2008 C14 Concours 155 hp..I rode it..it was nice..but I'd either kill myself on it or wind up in jail...Pass...
Didn't tell the cop how fast I'd been going just before he clocked me LOL "Honest officer I already DID slow down!" :doh:
he wrote for only ten MPH over, good enough. :cheers:

Even on the trailer that bike looks good! :thumbsup:

I never really liked BMWs... Always thought they were old man motorcycles ;)... Until...
I went on my bucket-list 4-corners motorcycle trip (2 years ago this Sept.). I started my trip in Olympia, WA on a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. Guzzis of my vintage (2009) are known for cam follower failures. Before I left, I checked with my Guzzi mechanic who said "You'll be fine that problem doesn't show up until they reach 20,000 miles". Well not in my case, that issue showed up much earlier, around Nebraska. The short version is the bike started sounding like a diesel. Adjusted the valves in the hotel parking lot. Made to Minneapolis Moto Guzzi (Leo's) needed adjustment again.

Decided to get a replacement bike and ship my Guzzi back home. Looked at what they had and bought a used 2006 R1200RT. Like yours, it had a complete service history. It had all the recalls, had new tires and they threw in a scheduled service that hadn't been done. I finished my trip on that bike. And It changed my option of BMWs. Or, maybe I'm just an old man motorcycle rider. :)

VlY5t2f.png

The BMW does so many thing well. IMO, it really was the best tool for the job.
My top 5:
Comfort - Wind protection, Heated seats & grips
Passing power - 105 hp
Fuel economy - typical hwy 50 mpg
Range - 7 gal tank
Cruise control

On a side note: Moto Guzzi helped out with the repair. They developed a kit to change to roller rockers. MG paid for the kit ($1500) and I paid for the labor ($1500). I thought that was outstanding for a 9 year old motorcycle.

Last edited:
Back