Not XS (BMW) an electrical troubleshooting thread

Nice!! And all dressed up she's pretty snazzy lookin' :D

What he said!
9502C20D-002A-4977-8C3F-26DFD63BE14C.jpeg
And Gary May I add, how much I enjoy these type of posts where we get to follow along with you to diagnose a problem. They’re interesting and I get to learn something along the way! :)

I omitted the 8-10 hours of scrubbing, cleaning it's underwear.
The little Dewalt power screwdriver.
2020-05-12-09-45-www.dewalt.com.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL7QCHY?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 run the video it really is a cool tool. Takes a little getting used to the gyro action instead of a trigger but very intuitive after a bit, More torque than you might expect and very good control, finesse on small fasteners not an issue. This and a ball end hex driver set from banggood were the catz PJ's for all the fairing screws. (like this)
2020-05-12-09-46-www.amazon.com.png

https://www.amazon.com/Hymnorq-Metr...=Ball+end+hex+bits&qid=1589294482&s=hi&sr=1-8

Tanx 4 de props guyz! I tried to drum up some interest in the project at a Beemer forum but nada. Gotta love XS650.com!
Bit the bullet and did title, license, and insurance this morning $285, perhaps some more miles today, still need to deal with the cracked baffle at the muffler outlet.

Last edited:
I had to dig to find this thread again..so I have caught up now..and again my hats' off to you sir....A fine job and a fine LD rider indeed... As Mailman says theres no limit to what you can do and it is amazing to us mortals... mucho respect ....

My uncle has a BMW and his also intermittently would not start or die. Needed a new ignition switch and key. Somedays it would start for him somedays it wouldn't! He must have 100k on it by now.
I envy it, hardly ever has to do anything besides change the oil!

This bike turned out Great!
I omitted the 8-10 hours of scrubbing, cleaning it's underwear.
The little Dewalt power screwdriver.
View attachment 166848

You know those 18v - 24v tools are very powerful... and heavy. As I get older it's becoming harder to hold them above my head for any length of time. I've been surprised by the power of the lower voltage (10v - 12v) variety. I've only had experience with Makita and Bosch, but they do 95%+ of what I've needed to do... and at a much more manageable weight.

Back