November 10th

GLJ

Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Went for a ride today. Stopped to see a buddy and he had his XS650 hardtail out in front of his garage. It looked different. He had mounted a small fairing on it. Asked what's going on with the fairing. He explained tomorrow was November 10th ride day and the weather is turning cold. (He's right 55 today 50 tomorrow.)
I asked what the f"ck is the 11/10 ride? He explained on November 10th 1885 the first motorcycle ride was taken. About 30 years ago Stan W organized a small local ride to commemorate it. Rain or shine he has gone. I asked who would be there and he mentioned a lot of people I used to know. 30 or so years ago is when I moved away and kind of left the area. I'm in! Tomorrow afternoon going to the ride. Should see some guys I have not see in forever. In talking to him him it's more of a together than a ride now. Meet at a bar, bowl of chili, a drink and a little bar hopping. I guess everyone is getting old. I will probable be one of the youngsters there. Should be fun! Pics tomorrow.
https://www.thehindu.com/children/first-ride-on-the-first-motorcycle/article29863147.ece

Went to the 11/10 ride. Left the shop low 50s, damp and overcast. What could go wrong. 4 smiles down the road starts spitting rain. Of course I left the rain suit behind. Weather held, no real rain. I was the 3rd bike there. People started showing up slowly but surely. I took the pics early there were another half dozen bikes that came. 2 650s were there so we were well represented.
Not really a ride just ride your bike to the meeting place. Have a few adult beverages, a bit of food and do some bullshiting.
It was a good time. Talked to several guys I hadn't seen in 30 years. Got a line on 2 titled 650s from one.
A guy I had been hoping to run into for years was there. He was the salesman that sold my bike when it was new. I walked outside to have a smoke and he was drooling on my bike. He loves Yamaha's, he sold them from the 60s to 6 years ago. He was amazed that I still had it and it was a daily rider. Now one of the reasons I'd been hoping to run into him somewhere is he used to live a very small town that a guy there had bought a new 71 from him. I asked him if he thought the guy might still have it. He said last he knew he did. Told him I would be interested in it. He said he would try and find him and let me know. It was interesting he mentioned the early ones were hard for the dealers to get. had a good time talking to him.
The Harley next to my bike is interesting. 4 wheels. I have never seen that before.
3 drinks and time to go. Either getting old or smart, not sure which. Of course when I go to leave there's 10 guys outside. I told them the old girl is bashful and doesn't start well with a audience. I was right 3 tries with e-start. Ride home very low 50s and spitting rain again. It was great. Very glad I went.

upload_2021-11-10_18-38-47.png
upload_2021-11-10_18-41-5.png

upload_2021-11-10_18-53-28.png

Also got a windshield patch for showing up. If I can remember I will go again next year.
upload_2021-11-10_19-15-47.png

Looks like a lot of fun! How crazy is it that you ran into the very guy that sold you your 50 year old bike! Small world. :)
He didn't sell it to me. I'm the 3rd owner. I bought it from my brother who was the 2nd owner. I did buy parts from him back in the day.
Back then no dedicated parts person. Salesmen, owner or mechanics sold parts.

The Harley next to my bike is interesting. 4 wheels. I have never seen that before.

Is that one of the ones that the rear wheel of the bike is still the drive wheel? Kind of all the disadvantage of having a sidecar but none of the advantage, like storage and passenger comforts!

I knew this group of guys that took a long distance ride, in the group was this old guy and his wife that had a Goldwing. The old guy had some sort of peripheral neuropathy and couldn’t feel his feet. Twice the group pulled into a gas station and when the Goldwing guy came to a stop he went to put his foot down and he fell over, sending his wife flying. After the second time, the wife said she wasn’t getting back on that bike with him, and in fact the group talked him into leaving his bike there and they both got on the back of someone else’s bike to ride home.

I have seen this arrangement before, they’re like big bolt on training wheels, and it’s always an old guy with a big heavy bike. I suppose it just lets him ride his bike for a few more years.

93028936-EE8B-4B71-8FEE-EB5860160B3B.jpeg

Back