Nylon rear sprocket?

j24cruisin

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys it's my first time posting, so go easy on me. I didn't find this in my searches, but has anyone ever seen a nylon rear sprocket? I bought a 1980 special, which has been stored since 1988. I know the guy I bought it from well, and he is meticulous with maintenance. I have full records on the bike. He did a few modifications to it though, and this was one of them. There was also a two into one exhaust from the era, original rotors that were drilled, and some kind of air pressure fittings for the front forks. He also added a small faring, upgraded rear suspension, and upgraded air filters. The bike was supposed to have been set up in the way a motorcycle magazine article indicated, but I'm not sure of which publication it was. I'm most interested in hearing about the sprocket, but any information about these modifications would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

I can also probably provide photos tomorrow if anyone is interested in seeing a particular part.

S&W front air forks sounds like. Never heard of the nylon sprocket. Drilling rotors is quite common, info here available by search. Pics would be cool.

S&W front air forks sounds like. Never heard of the nylon sprocket. Drilling rotors is quite common, info here available by search. Pics would be cool.

I'll do what I can in the morning for pics. The exhaust peaked my interest too, because it was supposed to be a part you could order from the publication to set the bike up. It's a two into one setup, and the only marks on it are the ones that say it's for an XS 650 special on the exhaust hanger. I was fortunate to also get a box full of the original parts.

Never seen a sprocket for a motorcycle made from nylon.... but i have seen factory nylon cam sprockets for small block Chevy's..

Back in the late 70's, I believe the most popular 2 into 1 exhaust was a J&R header. It came with 2 different baffles. One was very quiet and restrictive, and one was not. The baffle was held in by somewhat of a set screw setup that didn't hold very well.With the baffle out,it gave a definite boost in horsepower and was very loud.I can tell you from experience, you didn't want to ride the bike with no baffle while hungover. If you still have a centerstand on the bike, it's not the J&R setup.

couldn't your good friend you got the bike off of tell you about the build?

Well I'm sure if it hadn't been over thirty years ago that he did it he would remember more details. He told me everything he could remember though. He's trying to dig up the article for me though. He indicated he might have it stashed somewhere.

Back