o-ring (or other) replacement for 74-75 speedo damper?

I need to try the Lowes coupling idea I have tried per some other post o rings from Mcmaster Carr I believe one of the rings was 1-3/16" can't remember the other one It worked but I still had needle bounce on the speedo
If I can hijack this thread please does anyone know where to by the trip reset knob for a 75 it looks like the 74 maybe the same I've bought a repro but it didn't last a summer before the gauge end split
Thanks Mike

Just spotted this thread. I replaced the items initially mentioned in the diagram (#7 & #14 I believe) with this stuff when I was renovating a '74 TX650A.

https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-rd250-rd350-indicator-mount-damper-kit-hvc20086/

It was really quite straight-forward to do. Hopefully attached are 2 pics, showing the meter bracket from the top and from underneath. The RD250/350 series used essentially the same meter bracket as TX500/650s in '74 & '75.

They also carry the bracket overlay: https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-rd250-350-1973-1975-ignition-trim-plate-hvc20087-9/

top of meter bracket.JPG
under meter bracket.JPG

My suggestion to anyone dealing with a TX from those years is to
not overlook HVC, as there were many common components used, aside from the obvious differences. I have never gotten anything from them I had an issue with. Just sayin'.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to try the Lowes coupling idea I have tried per some other post o rings from Mcmaster Carr I believe one of the rings was 1-3/16" can't remember the other one It worked but I still had needle bounce on the speedo
If I can hijack this thread please does anyone know where to by the trip reset knob for a 75 it looks like the 74 maybe the same I've bought a repro but it didn't last a summer before the gauge end split
Thanks Mike

Check out this thread.............bottom of post #2
http://www.xs650.com/threads/70-83-...damper-replacement-replace-face-decals.52013/

Just spotted this thread. I replaced the items initially mentioned in the diagram (#7 & #14 I believe) with this stuff when I was renovating a '74 TX650A.

https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-rd250-rd350-indicator-mount-damper-kit-hvc20086/

It was really quite straight-forward to do. Hopefully attached are 2 pics, showing the meter bracket from the top and from underneath. The RD250/350 series used essentially the same meter bracket as TX500/650s in '74 & '75.

They also carry the bracket overlay: https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-rd250-350-1973-1975-ignition-trim-plate-hvc20087-9/

My suggestion to anyone dealing with a TX from those years is to View attachment 142020 View attachment 142021 View attachment 142020 View attachment 142021 not overlook HVC, as there were many common components used, aside from the obvious differences. I have never gotten anything from them I had an issue with. Just sayin'.

Good link.........Post back for a review on how they work.
I don't see a provision for a cut out so the cup tangs can stabilize against the bracket. Stops the gauges from rotating in the bracket.......go back to post #35 to see what i'm on about

As you say, there is no real provision to prevent that. These rubber bits seemed to make things sufficiently tight that I was not fearful the meters would rotate about (my cups were are in pretty good shape, no broken tangs). After I renovated the '74, I only got 300 miles on it before it bent the right intake valve (very distressing as I had put a lot of personal effort into the build). I've only just done the repairs necessary (sent the head out to a professional, figuring I'd botched it the first time, best get it done by someone I knew and trusted), and have yet to get it re-inspected (MOT'd to you folks in OZ and the UK) so I can get it out for another shake-down.

So the answer at the moment is that they seem to hold the meter firmly enough that it is not (as yet) an issue.

Also, allow me to correct the face plate replacement. I gave the link for an RD. Here is the one for the TX:

https://hvccycle.net/yamaha-xs650-tx500-1974-1975-ignition-trim-plate/

The problem here seems to be cost rather than availability. I recently obtained two dampers, (Part No# 3H3-83513-00-00), for my '78 SE from MegaZip parts in Japan. Cost was $20 (USD) for each and $25 (USD)to ship to OZ. Whilst I admire the precision of DB's work on a substitute, I personally find that my end product never looks quite as good nor leaves me feeling that it will function as well as the original item, therefore I am prepared to fork out a small fortune for these pieces and pretend I am not being ripped off. Oh well, I wanted a vintage motorcycle and my new dampers do fit perfectly although, having said that, DB's assembled product in post #10 looks pretty good and would have saved me $90 (Oz). That's a lot of beer and summer is coming.

The problem here seems to be cost rather than availability. I recently obtained two dampers, (Part No# 3H3-83513-00-00), for my '78 SE
Glad you liked that part. I also use it all the time when working on a 1976 and up model. It is a readily available part.
However the title of this thread is 74-75. Dampers for 74-75 are unavailable at any price. Hence the necessity to make your own and the reason I started this thread.

Great write up. Where can I find the center part in-between the gauges. That has the turn signals and stop lamp ignition? Mine is toast

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_152252.jpg
    IMG_20200613_152252.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20200528_180141.jpg
    IMG_20200528_180141.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 199
I just looked at your picture. I guess all that you are actually looking for is the faceplate and lenses. Those never come up for sale. You're going to have to wait until an entire cluster comes up for sale on eBay, or make your own faceplate and lenses, or get really lucky and someone on this Forum might have one. Mailman made his own lens for his high beam indicator -- it's in his build thread.

HVCcycles sells a replacement gauge face plate that they say fits the Yamaha RD250 and RD350. It looks identical to the one on my '75 XS650. The RD 250/350 cast aluminum gauge holders look identical to the '75 XS650 as well. They claim it doesn't fit the XS650. Is the one you show above the one that HVCcyles lists for the RD250/350? Thanks

DSC01470.JPG

There are two different indicator light spacings that were used on the gauge holders. Above shows an XS650 face plate on an XS650 gauge bracket.

DSC01468.JPG

Here is the same face plate on a non-XS650 bracket. The spacing on the bottom round red indicators is different. I believe that this bracket is from an XS500, but I'm not sure, it could be from an RD250/RD350.

DSC01469.JPG

Here is a close-up of the indicator light mis-match. The spacing for the XS650 is 44mm center of hole to center of hole. The non-XS650 spacing is 38mm.

Unless they discontinued it, mine fit perfectly. I can't find my receipt for it.

Last edited:
Back