October 2012 "build thread" voting

Who should be XSOTM Build thread XSOTM Oct 2012?

• Wes

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • osteoderm

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • RpNsht

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • kvanderploeg

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Alfredo

Votes: 10 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have 5 nominations for the October XSOTM "Build thread" contest.
These guys went over the top documenting how they built an XS650 their way.

The poll will close on October 31st, the winner will have their bike photo posted to the XS650 home page and be permanently added to the XSOTM picture album, not to mention the incredible bragging rights that go with such a feat.

Contestants; please feel free to post details, how you came to build an XS650 project, and MORE pictures, links to your build thread etc.. Let me know if you would like me to use a different picture for the voting.
Viewers and voters may also make comments and ask questions, Please keep all comments positive!

In no special order here are the contestants.

Wes

full

Build Thread

RpNsht

full

Build thread

osteoderm

full

Build thread

kvanderploeg

full

Build thread

Alfredo

full

Build thread

And there you have it. Remember to consider the thread not just the result!

First off, all the bikes here are great, and I'm really enjoying revisiting these build threads! It was just this sort of ongoing documentation that inspired me to start and maintain my own build thread.

This is my very first motorcycle, and my very first build. I went shopping for a bike to build with zero preconceptions. I wanted an air-cooled twin, but beyond that, I had no preference. I settled on the XS650 for the general good-looks, parts supply, legendary reliability, and especially for the excellent community of supportive fellow riders and builders.

I was very inspired (and I can't be the only one!) by Hugh's original build thread on pirate4x4. The design and fabrication are great, but I most enjoyed reading along with the ups and downs, the experiments, and seeing the development play out. I was also inspired by (XSOTM winner) pregrid's tracker thread; I really like how his build thread has become a forum-in-a-forum all about building a tracker, with plenty of discussion and encouragement going both ways.

Everything here was a first-time effort for me. I tried very hard to document everything as best as I could, to encourage, inspire, and inform other people as I have been encouraged and inspired myself. I don't feel like I have all the skills of some other builders, and I certainly didn't get the best photographs (everything was shot and uploaded on my phone!), but it's been really gratifying and humbling to see my thread get as many views and comments as it has!

I tried quite a few things on my bike that I hadn't seen anywhere else before; not that they've never been done, but more that they haven't been documented. It's especially great to see other builders take these ideas and run with them... Ippytattoo had my clutch idea installed and running on his bike before I had even completed it for my own!

This whole community is awesome, and anytime someone puts up a comprehensive build thread, we all benefit. So... Thanks for the support!

Reading between the lines, that means, as many screen names as you have.

Let's not start playing that game! We'll have to start checking for users posting from the same IP address. :wink2: Not that people can't easily get around that too.

I think the maximum number of poll choices is 5.... So to use the poll we would have to nominate 5 from the 11 monthly winners......

Back