Ohio Rockers Cafe' Racer

Scooter Style

XS650 Member
Reaction score
G'day.

Brooks Church here from Westerville, OH

Just picked up a 1975 Yamaha xs650.

17k miles, not too sure what all has been done to it other than paint on the tank, side covers, and wheels. Has some kind of pod filters and some kind of wrapped straight exhaust, and fat man seat. Came with original seat and front fender. Think I will be putting them back on.

First thing is first. It runs, drives, and brakes with no problems. Might be a slight front leak in the tire, but not sure yet. Going to work on the brakes F&R because they don't work so great. Then general maintenance, oil, plugs, clean air pods, lube chain, grease swing arm, new fuel line, new fuel filters (2 petcocks this year), and overall inspection.

Then work on getting parts. Going for a english rocker style cafe, a cafe I can ride ever day. Going to make a new tank, custom side covers (number plates) cafe seat with snap on cover, commando exhaust, Hughes PMA system, Hughes speed bars with solid risers, Hughes oil cooler, Loaded Gun Customs rear sets, and redo or eliminate turn signals and unnecessary tabs.

20140717_163243_zps80bb31fa.jpg

First things first. With those wheel's there is no such thing as a slight leak. They have tube's. Replace it.

On second thought the valve core Could be loose. Otherwise, see above.

I see a Kawi triple in that doorway.

Yep...always good to see another Ohioan!!!! Welcome sounds like it's gonna be a nice project and is already a nice ckean bike to start with

Well took it out on for the first time. Rode for about a hour, and now the left cylinder is loading up and not firing properly. Limped it to a safe place. Lovely. Also the speedo cable brake broke when trying to limp it and rubbed on the wheel and now needs replaced.

So next Friday ordering carb rebuild kit, spark plugs, petcock rebuild kits, tank cleaner/sealer, new throttle cable, new clutch cable, new brake pad, new brake shoe, and maybe new brake lines.

Hope to sell some other stuff (vintage road bike) and buy a MikesXS commando exhaust and Mayne hughes handbuild speedster bars.

Think I might go ahead and paint the tank and make some knee dents now and make custom number plate side covers for future use.

Welcome, Scooter Style.

I'll watch your thread and watch for you on the road. Round on the ends and hi in the middle.

I hammered my own knee dents. It was actually pretty easy. Check out my build thread and you can maybe recognize my bike if you see it. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32361

Thanks dude. OH! I am hoping to get the bike together enough to make the Ton Up Columus, dublin meet. But we shall see.

Don't order carb rebuild kits. As has been said many times on here before most of the parts in them are not correct for our bikes. Your best bet is to take them off, take them apart, clean and inspect the parts and order only what is needed. If you go using the generic jets and other parts in the rebuild kits you will only be creating more problems for yourself. Read the carb guide in the tech section and and give them a good thorough cleaning.

Thanks for the heads up. Will try this first for sure.

Also think I am going to look at getting a XS750 tank and adding a monza style lid for it.

I-O!

Hoping to make it as well. I'm a sump gasket and some 93 octane away from first start after to frame and back rebuild so fingers crossed.

Back