oil filters - HELP!

trance

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
OK, this is a brand new bike to me. Haven't even ridden it a mile. Changing the oil, cuz that's what you do with a new bike.

The oil screen (side cover) was CLOGGED with metal shavings - is this in any way normal? I can't even imagine how to get them all out. I'm soaking it in gas overnight, but by now, there are metal shaving on BOTH sides of the screen instead of just one. I'm thinking I have to order a new one, unless you guys tell me it's possible to clean this one.

The sump screen is torn (I've already read up on how to repair. Ironically enough, the screen itself is fairly clean. But there were many chunks of plastic/rubber in the sump - two were 1" long !!!. I assume these are the cam chain guides. Given how much was in there, does that mean I need to replace the cam chain guides?

I did adjust the cam chain before the oil change, and it did take a lot of adjustment. I hope this means the top end quiets down. Valve adjust is next.

The bike does have good compression (155/153) so I'm going to *assume* for now that the metal shavings are from:

1) maybe the P.O. hasn't changed the oil for a long time and they are normal
2) maybe the P.O. has never changed the oil
3) maybe the P.O. wasn't lying about having the engine rebuilt (I'm sure this isn't true though, because the engine is too dirty to be rebuilt. maybe a new head...)

dang I'm stressing about this. Did some searching - my situation is similar to this guy:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11611

my upper filter looks similar to his, except I didn't have any chunks of plastic in the upper filter - and the metal was much smaller, very fine.. the chunks of plastic were in the sump and are mostly 1/8" - 1/16" or smaller, but 2 large pieces about 1/4" wide x 1" long. I do think the cam chain was making noise before this, but I hadn't restarted the bike before the oil change to see if the cam chain adjusting quieted it down.

Someone please tell me if I need to replace the cam guides. If I do - how do I do this? This is serious stress. Ouch...

Last edited:
cam chain guide (usually front) and now since you will have it apart, new cam chain. With that compression it could be a good runner with no other work done to it...

but... when ever i go in, it turns into everything else.

thanks guys. in the reply for the other guy - 5twins thought that it might be "sorta normal" for a bike w/o an oil change in awhile.

I think I'll finish the oil change (new screen on order & will repair the hole in the sump screen, new gaskets on order too) and then keep an eye (and ear) on it. Will change the oil in 500 miles or so and check for junk at that point.

then, plan on tearing down the top end, and doing the cam chain and guides over the winter. Will check the valves at that point too, although since the compression is good I might not worry too much about them.

I'll also check tonight and see if the metal is magnetic or not - if it's aluminum I'd assume it's the cam guide, if it's steel I'd assume it's part of the starter gears - right?

Does this sound like a good plan?

Does it sound like a good plan? I think so, but so is not going too far from home and keeping your trailer tires aired up. Just kidding, kind of. I have no idea, but shavings and chunks in the lower end of any engine would make me tear it down to find the cause. This opinion is worth precisely what you paid for it, but I really do wish you luck!

Yeah, I figure once I get it buttoned up, if I'm finding a lot of noise and/or crud, I'll be tearing into it pretty soon.

It's a bobber, and the home made rear end has some cruddy welding, so I want to dig into the frame at some point anyways with my grinder and a welder. So, sounds like a winter project to me, unless the noise/crud is too much.

I can always ride my '80 Honda CB900 w/the side car. I've got that thing purring like a kitten...

Internal filters are susceptible to damage and can be missed in a service schedule, the cassette type filter conversion in my humble opinion is a must.

Smedspeed sump filter conversion.jpg
smedspeed filter conversion 1.jpg
smedspeed filter conversion 2.jpg

Internal filters are susceptible to damage and can be missed in a service schedule, the cassette type filter conversion in my humble opinion is a must.

View attachment 231012View attachment 231013View attachment 231014

10 and 3/4 years later.

External filters, (and on the sump plate) have been a round for years. a lot of people have done them. Wonder how may have had a problems causing the engine to loose oil without the owner realizing.................... To much paranoia for me

10 and 3/4 years later.

External filters, (and on the sump plate) have been a round for years. a lot of people have done them. Wonder how may have had a problems causing the engine to loose oil without the owner realizing.................... To much paranoia for me
Well, and I just thought of this, if you knock a hole in it, it's gonna' grease that rear tire pretty quick, so.....I'm thinkin' a blown engine is the least of my worries.

What is the ground clearance between the filter and road when ridden?
if you look at the photos the filter is about the same level as the side stand bracket, the XS is a road bike you will not see many on the MotoGP grid and if you are grounding out an XS650, the MotoGP grid is where you should be :bow::laughing::laughing::laughing: I will check tomorrow and post

if you look at the photos the filter is about the same level as the side stand bracket, the XS is a road bike you will not see many on the MotoGP grid and if you are grounding out an XS650, the MotoGP grid is where you should be :bow::laughing::laughing::laughing: I will check tomorrow and post
My concern would be rocks and potholes on unpaved roads. I’ve been known to ride them. YMMV

I like the idea of the filter. Agree there may be a possibility of damage but I only ride my bike on paved roads so I think I would probably be safe. If a pothole takes out the filter I would think much more would be damaged. One downside would be I wouldn’t be able to place my scissor jack directly on the frame as the filter would interfere. I’m going to look at this as a possible winter project.

Great point.

Back