Oil leak 72, XS2

prue1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a very small oil leak which appears to be coming from the side of the left cylinder just under the head gasket. After a 30mi ride all that appears is a sheen of oil on the fins. I haven't even seen a noticeable effect on the oil dip stick but there's no doubt that the oil is there ( the oil is clean with no appearance of carbon contamination). I have had the tank off several times to examine the entire top end and have not seen any apparent leak other then near the head gasket. Could this oil be coming from the head gasket? I did have the head and cylinders off 9 months ago to install a heli coil in the left cylinder and while I was there, put a new set of rings in and a pair of Mikuni VM 34 mm round slide carbs. If it was a head gasket leak, surely I would hear it? The left spark plug indicates a slightly rich mixture. The bike runs great.

As always, thanks for any help.

If it was a head gasket leak, surely I would hear it?
If the head gasket leaked bad enough you could hear it, the engine likely wouldn't run. If it did, you'd feel an air blast at the same time.
Good possibility it's the head gasket. Have you done a retorque?

Also... check your cam covers. A leak there will run down onto the cylinder fins.

He meant the points housing not the valve covers. After a rebuild, you have to re-torque several times in the first few thousand miles before the gaskets are fully compressed and the fasteners stop getting loose.

There is no oil coming from behind the points housing, only on the fins beneath the head gasket. Again, the oil is more like a sheen then any droplets.

Back