Oil Pressure Wonderings

YamadudeXS650C

Central New York XS650
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So, the bleak winter months here in the Nor'east provide plentiful downtime in which to wonder about things.

Yesterday I wondered about having adequate oil pressure in my '76.
Yes, I could take the right cover off and take clearance measures at the oil pump, but more simply I did this check:

The bike has been sitting for two months in my cold garage workshop, not started. Currently 44 deg F.
The oil might have drained down from the passages.
The oil is a bit heavier, of course, at this temp.
Removed a tappet cover.
Started the bike, and the oil started spurting at the tappet after 6 or 7 seconds.

Opinions as to the adequacy of my oil pump?

Thanks,
Dude
76xs650 005.small.jpg

So, the bleak winter months here in the Nor'east provide plentiful downtime in which to wonder about things.
Yesterday I wondered about having adequate oil pressure in my '76.
Yes, I could take the right cover off and take clearance measures at the oil pump, but more simply I did this check:
The bike has been sitting for two months in my cold garage workshop, not started. Currently 44 deg F.
The oil might have drained down from the passages.
The oil is a bit heavier, of course, at this temp.
Removed a tappet cover.
Started the bike, and the oil started spurting at the tappet after 6 or 7 seconds.
Opinions as to the adequacy of my oil pump?
Thanks,
Dude
View attachment 135545

Hi Dude,
if you put a pressure gauge on your bike's oil line you'll see mebbe 5 psi or less but no worries.
It's plain bearing engines that need oil pressure. Roller & ball engines like the XS650 need oil flow.
From what you describe your bike's oil pump is providing adequate oil flow.

...Removed a tappet cover.
Started the bike, and the oil started spurting at the tappet after 6 or 7 seconds...

Yup, that has been the standard test.

If the front downtube and fender get wet, good 'nuff.

However, the argument *has* been proposed that oil spray is simply crankcase venting...

However, the argument *has* been proposed that oil spray is simply crankcase venting...
When I first fired up my SG after the top end, I "pre-oild" it. Old habits from the Lycoming days I guess. To pre-oil the XS, I removed the plugs and valve adjusters so the engine was as free wheeling as possible. Then spun it over with the starter until I had oil flowing down on all 4 valves. I didn't time it but I'd guess the total time on the starter was 30-40 seconds in 5-10 second bursts. Didn't see any evidence of crankcase venting pushing oil up into the head. A running engine with nice tight rings would prolly act the same.

...Didn't see any evidence of crankcase venting pushing oil up into the head. A running engine with nice tight rings would prolly act the same.

Jim, the crankcase venting would be the air displacement from 650cc of piston motion, shoving crankcase gasses in/out of a single open valve cover. Just like the vent tube(s), but with a bigger opening. More violent on a running engine...

Yeah, I get what you mean Steve... I'm just skeptical you'd ever see that oil on a cold engine just after startup. The air would have to come up through the cam chain tunnel... along with any oil slung up by the chain itself. I suspect that would settle into the casting depression where to cam resides. Of course I've had weird thoughts before.... :confused:

Back