oil sump filters

wheelsrus

XS650 Member
Reaction score
are the mikes xs sump filters any stronger than stock? do i need to make a shroud where the filters always tear? now that i have 3 650's these filters starting to add up (side filters are still ok) also just picked up a '78 E that is dark green/w gold trim, i have never seen one this color before is there anything unusal about this bike. now have 74,75 &78. I am done.

5twins

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
No, personally, I don't think they're as strong. Besides tearing in the usual place, the magnets fall out too, lol. Below you can see a MikesXS filter on the lower left I had to repair. Besides the usual tear, I had to reattach the magnet .....

Sump Filters.jpg

I'd rather use repaired originals than buy that junky one from Mike's.

GLJ

Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I personally like the aftermarket filters. They are a improvement from the stock sump filters. I've used them on several engines. The steel backing mesh has kept them from blowing in and have not had a magnet failure yet. lol.

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think I overheard Pete mumbling little miss tinklepants........... LOL
Yes indeedy.

During the resurrection, I found a set of NOS 1978 vacuum petcocks and they looked really nice - that is, until I got her to the CVMG show when, while parked in a place of honour inside, overnight, she started leaking and wouldn’t stop the entire frickin’ weekend.

Now she is sporting a shiny new set of Mike’s non-vacuum replacement petcocks which, needless to say, were ordered about 20 minutes after Gary and I got back to the country estate near Harrow.

BowlingSS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have patched a number of stock filters with epoxy. Anyone seen one like this from a early XS1?

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 18

jpdevol

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to remember when I ordered last - I'm sure this year. I've heard that before, but I've been getting stuff from them for 3-4 years no problem. Always been happy with quality, service and shipping. Post back, please, if there's an issue

Edit: Time flies!; last email re shipped order 8/4/2021