oil sump filters

wheelsrus

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
are the mikes xs sump filters any stronger than stock? do i need to make a shroud where the filters always tear? now that i have 3 650's these filters starting to add up (side filters are still ok) also just picked up a '78 E that is dark green/w gold trim, i have never seen one this color before is there anything unusal about this bike. now have 74,75 &78. I am done.

No, personally, I don't think they're as strong. Besides tearing in the usual place, the magnets fall out too, lol. Below you can see a MikesXS filter on the lower left I had to repair. Besides the usual tear, I had to reattach the magnet .....

Sump Filters.jpg

I'd rather use repaired originals than buy that junky one from Mike's.

I personally like the aftermarket filters. They are a improvement from the stock sump filters. I've used them on several engines. The steel backing mesh has kept them from blowing in and have not had a magnet failure yet. lol.

I think I overheard Pete mumbling little miss tinklepants........... LOL
Yes indeedy.

During the resurrection, I found a set of NOS 1978 vacuum petcocks and they looked really nice - that is, until I got her to the CVMG show when, while parked in a place of honour inside, overnight, she started leaking and wouldn’t stop the entire frickin’ weekend.

Now she is sporting a shiny new set of Mike’s non-vacuum replacement petcocks which, needless to say, were ordered about 20 minutes after Gary and I got back to the country estate near Harrow.

I have patched a number of stock filters with epoxy. Anyone seen one like this from a early XS1?

Attachments

• IMG_2665.jpg
    IMG_2665.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2666.jpg
    IMG_2666.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2667.jpg
    IMG_2667.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 83
I'm trying to remember when I ordered last - I'm sure this year. I've heard that before, but I've been getting stuff from them for 3-4 years no problem. Always been happy with quality, service and shipping. Post back, please, if there's an issue

Edit: Time flies!; last email re shipped order 8/4/2021

Back