OK 2many I've been patiently waiting YEARS to hear about this gun barrel re-machining process

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
spent months designing/building a machine that allows me to modify rifle barrels, to improve accuracy. The process takes about 2 hours. Working with a budget Stevens 200, using budget ammo, it now shoots 1/4" groups at 150 yards.
Stevens200-223-01.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to explain how this works...
Try to spill the beans?

Try to spill the beans?
Would be interesting to know what he did to the barrel (for a couple of hours I think he said) even if as he says he doesn't know exactly what happened to it. I suspect there's nothing new you can discover about barrels in a home shop at this point though. But would be interesting...

common practice for a worn gun barrel is to machine it smooth and install a liner. Nice thing about this procedure is you can select the caliber (to some degree) and the twist. The American single shot rifle association, ASSRA, website has loads of information about this. Beware though, gunsmithing is a deep dark hole that can consume time and money almost as bad as motorcycles

Finally found an old (around 2008?) video of the machine in action.

It's a 40" wood lathe, modified for barrel work.
BarrelBoringGadget.jpg

BarrelBoring02.jpg

The green thing in the background is a 'spider' to hold a barrel's receiver. Also in the background is a 3-roller-type steadyrest, to hold the barrel near the muzzle.

This crappy video shows the machine being used to drill an old hardened 1890 Winchester 22 WRM barrel, as part of a relining project.

Of course, there's more.
I'll eventually get to it...

Back