Okay, main jet location

hjpaul7

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 78 BS38 stock carbs.

My first time ever touching a carburetor, I have read the carb guide a couple times, got them off. Took the float bowls off and the floats. I can hear fuel sloshing around the floats so I know I have to replace them. Also got the two pilot jets out I believe.

I should probably back track and say I'm cleaning these out and rejetting to use with UNI foam pod filters. So replacing the jets would only be the two main, and two pilots? Along with moving the needle. But I can't seem to locate the main jet according the carb guide.

Also I pulled this guy out, not sure what it is. Pictures below.

Help?

EDIT: Okay, I'm the second photo I think I realized I pulled out the needle jet? Do I need to replace these as well?

Attachments

• IMG_20140611_225525.jpg
    IMG_20140611_225525.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20140611_230519.jpg
    IMG_20140611_230519.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 245
Yes, that is the needle jet you're holding. The jet itself usually doesn't need replacing but its o-ring does. That black band on yours used to be the o-ring, lol.

The main jet is under the drain bolt on the bottom of the float bowl. Remove the drain bolt and then you can screw the jet out .....

Stubby2.jpg

Yes, that is the needle jet you're holding. The jet itself usually doesn't need replacing but its o-ring does. That black band on yours used to be the o-ring, lol.

The main jet is under the drain bolt on the bottom of the float bowl. Remove the drain bolt and then you can screw the jet out .....

Stubby2.jpg

Thank you I found it! I thought the drain bolt was the bolt that housed the..pilot jet? What is that bolt called then.

I'll just replace the needle jets since they're cheap anyway.

You're still going to need o-rings for them (they're not included). The size is 1mm thick x 4mm I.D. The pilots aren't covered by a bolt. They screw into the tops of the float bowls and are plainly visible here .....

BS38BowlTypes.jpg

You're still going to need o-rings for them (they're not included). The size is 1mm thick x 4mm I.D. The pilots aren't covered by a bolt. They screw into the tops of the float bowls and are plainly visible here .....

BS38BowlTypes.jpg

Thanks 5twins, got them out.

Back