Oklahoma

Ratranger

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Well I'm in OKC now, unfortunately until I find a job and a house I can't fix my XS. It's a fuel injected tracker style, had a wrist pin circlip fail on the dyno. So once I have space it's going 700cc big bore.

Who else is in oklahoma?
20190817_192934_HDR.jpg

Not in OKC but there a few times a year I wish I was. Drag boat and Thunder boat races at lake Overholser right in the city limits of OKC and American Flat Track races at your mile track. I used to drive from Topeka to OKC every Sat to go to the old fairgrounds (MarCar Raceway I think) to watch the Camel Pro Series 1/2 mile dirt track races. Got to see all the greats in the early 70`s. The races were sponsored by Hugo`s Harley in Wichita Ks. IMHO some of the best entertainment money can buy. I don`t know if your a big flat track fan but if you are your in for a real treat.:thumbsup:
Kenny-Roberts-racing-Yamaha-XT650-750-flat-tracker.-KR-collection4570.jpg

Haven't gotten to go to any races here in forever. I remember the old fairgrounds raceway, friday nights in the summer you could hear them miles away. I'll have to look into things once I'm more settled and things aren't so crazy.

The old fairgrounds was great. Cars on Friday and motorcycles on Saturday. Rain outs were held on Sunday at 1:00 sharp. Helicopters were used to dry the track. They had a minor league baseball team and the stadium was on the fairgrounds and there was a smaller version of the space needle and monorail. Oil well on the State House Grounds?? Great food in OKC too!:yikes:
44383546630_5dc797ba69_b.jpg

r960-35d13a1ae321d1caf3455c59bea38dbd.jpg

Yep, the good old days. I went to a ball game there once, I've ridden the needle, and monorail, things have sure changed a bit. I haven't been in Oklahoma for more than a week or so since 2006 when I joined the army.

Hopefully in about a week I'll be able to get the new pistons for the XS. I could get it back together as long as I can get everything out of the storage unit.

Space needle, monorail & speedway are all gone. It’s a shame, the fair board calls it progress.
Motorcycle races are now at Remington Park, a mile horse track in June.

Yeah. Half the reason the monorail and needle are gone would be the lack of maintenance. To keep them safe it would have been cheaper to replace them.

The track was probably closed for "noise" reasons, or maybe the grandstands were about to collapse.

Back