Old Brown

I'm curious Fred, is the Kawasaki 2 stroke a different beast? I'd run out of fingers countin' the Yamaha's I ran without the injector pumps. What different about the Kaw design?

Hi Jim.
"only the name has been changed - - - "
Nothin' I'm aware of.
AFAIK all pumped oil 2-strokes work the same way, so they can run on pump gas without risking the operator forgetting to add oil to it.
Betcha you didn't run your de-injectored Yamahas on straight gas, eh?

Some of the Japanese two strokes had a 2 output injector pump. One of the outlets fed a passage to the crank and the rod was drilled for a squinter on the small end and they require a very rich oil mixture on premix or they die quickly. I don't think this engine is setup that way. I'm only going run it on premix long enough to ensure no sketchy behavior in the chassis. The front forks are from a gs500 and I think they may be shorter then the kz400 forks so want to make sure there are no tendency to shopping cart. I don't have the original forks to compare to in geometry. As Jim sez there be dragons about.

so they can run on pump gas without risking the operator forgetting to add oil to it.

I owned 3-4 bikes that the owner forgot to fill the oil tank so there ain't no getting out of here alive unless you watch the details. The plus for the manufacturer is the bike is usually running a leaner oil mix so less smoke because with premix the ratio at all times is what you need for WFO

Another great ride with 2m. All county roads at a sedate 40-50. Beautiful blue sky on a day that the forecast from early this week was for big rains and in fact when I got up yesterday we were under a flash flood advisory until noon today. Rode to Doss Texas a pretty German farming community in search of BBQ.
Hung out at Steve's till damn near dark. Hard to leave good company.

The good news is he loaned me a hand held tach that I'm going to use to calibrate the Gonzo test stand. We talked about scope readings and loading on the pickup coils influencing the readings. I think I now better understand what is going on with the Gonzo box.

The cool thing is we got a triple today. The bbq thread ,just ride and old barn thread.

I have decided the R3 has a name .
Darth Vader
darth vader 1.jpg

I've been detoured by Old Brown again.
I had setup my swing arm for a disk brake mag. Where and how to mount the master cylinder etc. About the time I'd solved these issues along comes a 81 mag with drum brake. I really like the idea of that setup on the TXA as I prefer the drum on the 650.

Collecting the parts to make this happen and I will need to do the swingarm bushings thing again.
From the photos it looks like most of them are from the same source. Any recent good/bad experiences with the swingarm bushing , advice ?
I have looked at several threads on how to swap them properly this time.

... I will need to do the swingarm bushings thing again.
From the photos it looks like most of them are from the same source. Any recent good/bad experiences with the swingarm bushing , advice ?

About 25 years ago, my XS1B's swingarm was a bit loose, uneasy wandering feeling. Disassembled, found original plastic bushings and 3-piece sleeve. The 2 steel sleeves were rusty, plastic bushings a bit rough inside surfaces.

Removed and turned the plastic bushings' IDs to clean them up.

Cleaned up the steel sleeves, built-up their ODs by welding brass, and turned them to a slightly oversized OD, for a light press fit inside the resized plastic bushings.

Reinstalled with MoS2 grease. Yes, a bit tight, had to press the sleeves into the bushings. The swingarm could pivot, but *not* fall by it's own weight.

Reassembled the bike. The rear was now very stable, no more wandering feeling.

Now, about 3-4 years ago, decided to upgrade to brass bushing kit with 1-piece steel sleeve.
I got lucky, the fits were nice and close, very little clearance. Again, reinstalled with MoS2 grease.

The wandering feeling has returned... :(

- - - Collecting the parts to make this happen and I will need to do the swingarm bushings thing again.

Hi TJ,
my swingarm bronze bushing upgrade is not recent but it's still good after a decade plus:-
Hand-ream the new bushings through in line after pressing them into the swingarm.
Be sure the steel sleeve is long enough to allow the swingarm 0.002" to 0.012" side-play
in the frame when the throughbolt is fully tightened.
Swap in an aftermarket M16-threaded throughbolt
(I had TWO M14-theaded throughbolts snap their ends off on the highway)
I also chose to install a grease nipple in the swingarm cross-tube.

Last edited:

Oooh that looks like fun! I’ve wanted one of those since I was a teen. I’m curious Gary, does Wisconsin lend itself to trail riding, or are the woods too dense? Are the trails just for hiking? Out here it’s hard to find open desert to trail ride on anymore, so much land is fenced with no trespassing, and the outer edges of our big city sprawl begins to run into Indian reservation land and you’re not allowed to ride there either.

Yeah I even bought a Gas Gas trail, dirt bike a few years ago, but there's nowhere to ride em.
Closest state area is 60 miles away. MEH
A day riding it in the pasture. And that was the end of that.........

Out here it’s hard to find open desert to trail ride on anymore,
How about the national forests. Fire road riding is awesome. My good friend lives in the Gila in western New Mexico and there are miles of dirt roads around him including the 8 miles of non paved road to get to his place.

Back