Old Brown

that link says "currently unavailable".

Odd. This is a screen shot from a couple of minutes ago.

upload_2021-11-19_14-9-48.png

I just about doubled my Heritage Special's front brake's stopping power by using an M/C with a smaller diameter piston.
Best to also use wire-braided brake hoses because the stock fabric-braided hoses are WAY past their "use before" date
and were way too bulgy even when they were new.

Old Brown has dual disk front end so the 16mm m/c bore is about right.
To be honest I've been happy with the 16mm bore with the stock single disk caliper setup since the 1970's.

Totally agree about the brake hoses.

One of my roadblocks has been what to do about the side stand problem.

Been reading @TX650A919 Van Islander 's build thread http://www.xs650.com/posts/718336/ for his TXA and side stand questions

A shot in the dark. I just ordered a xs750 side stand. May take a few mods and forces me to setup the electrolysis tank that has been on the todo list. Another rabbit hole.

upload_2021-11-22_8-30-50.png

Last edited:
Yes, Skull mentioned the TX750 ('73-'74 twin) was the same but it may not be. It has a different part number. Yes, the middle 5 numbers are the same (27311), but that number is common to many, many sidestands, some completely different looking. That XT500 stand uses it for instance. The stand listed for the '74-'75 650 is 447-27311. The TX750 stand is 341-27311. It may swap on but I'm thinking it's not exactly the same part (shape and size).

Here is where I saw that the TX750 stand would interchange.
upload_2021-11-23_15-12-54.png

I'm hoping the stand mounting on the frame of the later xs750's didn't change so the mount and geometry of the later stands would match up to the TXA650 mount.

Just the same way that the 650 received a one year only (1976) stand that replaced the 74-75 650 stand II'm hoping that the later 750 updated stand will work.

Not the same stand but unless you hang out here I don't think anyone will notice the difference. Same era stand and no mods to make it work (I hope).

It supposed to be here Saturday so will know more then.
In my case $16.20 delivered vs. $149.00 + tax + shipping. No brainer.

In my case Old Brown was not stock when I bought her used at the Yamaha dealer. She was my first race bike and was assembled and disassembled with parts off of lots of different bikes.

At this point she has the front end of a XJ700., rear end from a 78 special, a later TCI motor etc so I don't think the side stand will stick out as not original.

Just hoping it will work.

Yes, I saw that, but go to the 650 parts diagrams it lists. It lists this "341" stand above the other parts and there's no diagram number associated with it. The one with the diagram number in the lower list is the "447" stand. And then, go look at that MX250B diagram, lol. The "341" stand is listed as an optional part and the diagram doesn't even show it as a sidestand but rather some sort of work stand.

I happen to have a TX750 stand hanging out in my shed, but I haven't looked at it in a while. I could snap some pics and get some measurements if you want. I seem to recall it somewhat resembles the '74-'75 650 stand but isn't exactly the same.

I will have one here by Saturday . I'll take photos and measurements and put it on Old Brown and see how it works out.

One thing I can say is almost anything could be an improvement over the original stand.

Well it appears in my mind I've been co-mingling the tx500 and TX750 and adding 2 + 2 together not getting three like I should have. I assumed that the TX750 evolved into the XS750 not the case but the good news is it looks like the side stand mount on the three cylinder xs750 looks pretty much the same as the 76 stand . You have to assume that the same team that designed the upgraded TXA frame was involved in the tx500 and 750 frames and and then the three-cylinder bike. We know how much Yamaha loves to reuse parts.

It helps that I'm running a two into one pipe so there's no exhaust pipe on the side stand side.

The XS750 side stand appears to come down at the same angle and about the same distance as the 650 stand does. It may be slightly longer which is not a bad thing.

This is the bike my ebay stand came from.
upload_2021-11-24_7-8-53.png

cleardot.gif

It's funny how something as simple as the side stand can create so much peering at parts diagrams measuring photos etc etc.
That's why the old brown project has slowed to a freaking halt over the last year or two because getting sunk into these rabbit holes of stuff that has to go on the bike. Spent the summer building a workshop where I can actually have some table space. I'm using that now to complete the wiring I pretty much have all that hooked up on the workbench so I can test it before I put it onto the bike get all the connectors connected in the right places instead of trying to do it bending over the bike. Just makes a really nice place to collect all the parts that are going to be needed to complete the project.

For instance the clocks have been a total major sub program of their own but since they feature so prominently on the bike I really wanted to do them right. I'm struggling over what to do about the neutral light.

upload_2021-11-24_7-22-40.png

And then comes the front master cylinder. The kit from the smiley folks arrived yesterday and as far as I can tell it looks like it's the right stuff.

The problem is the piston won't budge. I have not taken the snap ring off yet ( those damm pliers are in here somewhere) .

I worked on several master cylinders with stuck pistons this week, and I agree with everything that has been said.

I would not worry too much about saving that rubber boot. If the piston is stuck, then the spring and circlip are probably very rusty, and the boot will probably be almost impossible to get off without destroying it, but all of that stuff comes in the Mikes rebuild kit.

Once you get the circlip off, drip some penetrating fluid where it was, put some more penetrating fluid through the banjo bolt hole, and the stuck piston should tap out pretty easily as described before. Don't try to tap it out without removing the cicrclip.

Back