Old Brown

I remember now why I did not like the side stand on Old Brown. The rearward bend in the stand.
upload_2021-11-24_10-28-55.png
I once saw the reason for it.
In the 1970's post Nixon gas station closings etc. gasoline much after dark became not a thing the further out west in Texas you went. A large group of us stopped for the last open gas station we would see that night after a long ride from Houston. Headed west into the night to hwy 32. I was trailing along towards the back of the group as we went into the Devils Backbone when up ahead suddenly there were fireworks for a long time. We stopped at the end of the backbone in the entrance to the Boy Scout camp that a lot of these guys grew up in scouts going to camp there.

It turns out that after we stopped fuel and ridden 30 miles or so when my buddy entered the first sweeper to the left when he discovered much to his surprise he had left his side stand down when we left the station.

The photo in post #527 is from the ebay listing. Looks like it will be here Friday or Saturday.

Here is a link to the listing with photos.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255233060904

As soon as it gets here I will put it on Old Brown and grab some photos of it installed. Old Brown also has a 2 into 1 pipe which helps with this because pipe clearance is the reason the toe catch is bent around on the stock ones.

Hoping this piece will get me that much closer to Old Brown being roadworthy.

Looks like it swings forward too much as well. Nothing a little welding can't fix, lol.

When I got my '78, the sidestand was missing. The first replacement I acquired had no tang so I had to build one. I positioned it bent a bit more forward (in the up position) so some fuel line placed on the tang could act as a stop against the headpipe mounting tab on the frame. It works well .....

ysS4Ymj.jpg

YrOJSj6.jpg

31ysg5c.jpg

mnDG1IN.jpg

I'm thinking of some applied heat to bend it to the same angle as the stock one would go a long way to fix the angle of the dangle. I plan on keeping it the way it is and see how it works out. I think the added length might compensate for the forward sweep.
From a appearance standpoint they look a lot alike .

Sorry for the crap photos but it's cold out in the barn and I just threw it it on and took a couple of shots and fled back into the house. Supposed to be warmer next week so I hope to get her down off the stand and see how she stands on it.

Looks like it swings forward too much as well. Nothing a little welding can't fix, lol.
Yep, worst case a section of 4-6 mm bolt welded to the bottom of the u shaped mounting tang would do the trick.
Anyway it has the appearance of a stock stand while costing 1/10. I'm happy.

If it angles too much, it may be more prone to bending. Ideally, the force put upon the stand should be straight up into it along it's length, yours is pushing on the side of it. You might come out some day to find the bike laying on it's side and the stand looking like a banana, lol.

Please excuse my crap drawing but I'm sitting in the dark drawing this before I go to bed. The XS750 stand just needs the blank shank of a 8 or 10 mm bolt of the correct width welded across the u of the stand fixes the angle . Photos to follow.
IMG_20211127_111053451.jpg

Last edited:
Back