Old Newbie Ignition Help

rickrman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, Please consider this plea for help. I am building a Volkswagen Beetle with a Yamaha XS650 pushing it. It was nearly complete but the 1978-ish engine starter engage mechanism failed. After 3 failed attempts to repair it myself, I pulled the engine and took it to a professional motorcycle repair shop. The repair shop burned down with my engine in it. I was able to retrieve the engine in a melted plastic tub from the burned up shop (see picture). As another act or desperation, I purchased a replacement engine that came with electronic ignition. I am all wired for the old engine with points but now I must convert to electronic. I need help identifying the pickup rotor (pictured). My "new" engine has what appears to be stock LD115-02 stator (pictured). I need advice on how to proceed. My wife said shit-can the project but I'm in too deep. Thank You.
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0003.JPG

What you have there is a points motor that has an aftermarket "transistorized" points replacement thingie. It can be wired just as a points ignition would be. A pic of under the right cam cover may reveal what type the trans points are....

The coils should be ok, condensers not needed. Pics to confirm please.

I could be way wrong here, but I don't think so. That looks like a PAMCO ignition. Google XS650 Pamco for more info. As said, you don't need the condensers. However, you MUST use a dual tower coil if I'm right. For example, this one:
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-ultimate-high-output-coil.html
There are plenty others that will work.
BTW, your missing one of the timing plate adjustment hold-down screws at 11:00 in your last pic.

I could be way wrong here, but I don't think so. That looks like a PAMCO ignition. Google XS650 Pamco for more info. As said, you don't need the condensers. However, you MUST use a dual tower coil if I'm right. For example, this one:
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-ultimate-high-output-coil.html
There are plenty others that will work.
BTW, your missing one of the timing plate adjustment hold-down screws at 11:00 in your last pic.
Good eye! Thanks-a-million!

Last edited:
I'd like the mechanical timing assembly from your burned motor if you don't need it. It's under the right cam cover. It includes two copper flyweights.

EDIT: remove the M6 nut first. Then:
Remove circlips, and pull the weights. Try not to stretch the springs. You can leave the springs attached to the back plate posts, and the weights dangling. Remove the M6 nut. Remove the disc under the nut. Use a drift to remove the serrated-edge lock nut. Pull the back plate.
The back plate may be quite difficult to remove. I often have to resort to bending a screwdriver into a mini-prybar, and working it around the back of the plate.
I would like everything, springs, weights, disc, plate. Make sure you don't need it. See what the motor you are going to use has.

EDIT: remove the M6 nut first. Then:
Remove circlips, and pull the weights. Try not to stretch the springs. You can leave the springs attached to the back plate posts, and the weights dangling. Remove the M6 nut. Remove the disc under the nut. Use a drift to remove the serrated-edge lock nut. Pull the back plate.
The back plate may be quite difficult to remove. I often have to resort to bending a screwdriver into a mini-prybar, and working it around the back of the plate.
I would like everything, springs, weights, disc, plate. Make sure you don't need it. See what the motor you are going to use has.
Let me check my "new" engine. Do I need weights with my PAMCO ignition?

Yes, although the person who installed the Pamco might have also installed an electronic advance, in which case, no, you don't need it. Check under the right cam cover.
You must never, EVER test for spark, or rotate the engine with the coil energized, unless both spark plug wires are grounded. This will instantly fry the Pamco. Easy to do.

Dog, My replacement engine still has weights. Considering the "iffy" nature of my PAMCO and my existing two stock coils and condenser, how would you (or The Guru) proceed? I need easy and reliable. I looked at a Morris magneto but it may be kind of overkill. You are welcome to my old weights assembly if I can get it off (maybe tomorrow). Thanks again.

Maybe someone can come up with a complete points plate assy.?:whistle:

Back