One Dakota.... XS1 fix, restore labor of love SoDak

This will be an early bike journey thread, I'm no @Mailman But I'll do what i can.
Getting a bunch of info in one spot, these are Paul's threads
When he first showed up on the forum with a new to him cheap CL project bike in June 21, note; I immediately tried to pry this bike away from him, LOL
https://www.xs650.com/threads/new-to-bikes.59955
https://www.xs650.com/threads/kick-start-clutch-cover-issue.61550
https://www.xs650.com/threads/bike-for-sale.62093
https://www.xs650.com/threads/1970-carbs.61507
https://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-work.61201
@Paul II is now busy with school, just got done with a several month internship at a Harley Dealer and is going into a marine mechanics school next semester. I'm assuming consumer marine, inboard, outboard type course.
I'm honored he allowed me to take custody of this bike.
Due to it's early # I'm going to take particular care bringing it back to life.
Exact course is undecided, but most likely a fairly complete restoration using original parts as much as possible. Reproduction where original doesn't exist or as fill in til good stock parts can be found.
Prime directive; Do no harm..........
Big issue #1 will be green paint. (hint, hint, LOL)
Some pics from when Paul first got the bike and in his shop 6-22.
Last year new to Paul
when paul started.jpg

20210723_134410.jpg
20210723_134435.jpg
20210723_134441.jpg
20210723_134454.jpg
image.jpeg
output_image1656082914493.jpg
output95image1656082926442.jpg
output_image1656082906857.jpg

Being such a low no, would be interesting to know if there were others left that are earlier. if you could find out, could be worth more to a collector.

#3269 was the change
Guy at the CVMG 6-20-22 had about #000250 said this was pretty much as he found it with just over 2K on the clock.
KIMG1336.JPG

Those carbs I sent ya a few yrs back are early XS-1.
Iirc.. insides were pretty damn clean. You still have em?

Those carbs I sent ya a few yrs back are early XS-1.
Iirc.. insides were pretty damn clean. You still have em?

Have em, they are now powering Weathervane!

Been at it since this morning, general clean up, look around,

checking, snugging, adjusting, this n that, til I couldn't take it any longer and opened the RH side cover
Where dragon's were reputed to live.
Yup dragons in there.
No death knells sounded, transmission goes through all the gears, spark plugs out, crank rotates and feels good.
Oil pump was rather severely fuggled, shaft badly beat up bent, pretty sure the late model pump I now have in it will be the cat's PJ's for increased volume!
Only 4K miles showing but clutch basket screws had (obviously) been removed.
The Forensic mechanic is formulating a theory about the chain of events that led to a 52 year old bike in remarkably good condition having only 4K miles on the clock.
Gotta go start looking up and copying early parts breakdowns.
I'll post gory details(tales) later.

Spent some quality time in the RH cover.
reason clutch had been out prolly found; one cush spring was MIA,
You can see the rub mark where the spring had been dragging on the case.
putting in a later clutch complete.
DSCN1143.JPG
That spring may have been what destroyed the oil pump, looks like something got between the pump and crank gear teeth, pump shaft lost the battle, later pump installed.

Some head scratchers, there was a needle bearing on the kick start shaft next to the cover. That might be right but doesn't show in the diagram.
Compression is pretty low via a wrench on the crank nut, squirted some oil in the cylinders, at least have a bit of resistance now, need to open, check valves etc.
decide about yanking motor to do the valves. Bores look good, no evidense of oil getting in cylinders.

Attachments

• DSCN1140.JPG
    DSCN1140.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 73
Hard to see this as anything but bean counters getting their way.
__________#146 ______________________ all later bikes
KIMG1403.JPG
Ignore that hole in the RH cover, it used to be on madness, was the oil filter/cooler tap.
dimensions were changed slightly wouldn't be room to machine an o-ring groove in a later cover.
This (LH) cover has a couple fine cracks, is slightly bulged out. Was tightened down over a loose filter bolt?

Hard to see this as anything but bean counters getting their way.
__________#146 ______________________ all later bikes
View attachment 217422
Ignore that hole in the RH cover, it used to be on madness, was the oil filter/cooler tap.
dimensions were changed slightly wouldn't be room to machine an o-ring groove in a later cover.
This (LH) cover has a couple fine cracks, is slightly bulged out. Was tightened down over a loose filter bolt?

Yeah that o ring makes a lot of sense. I always gos seepage there.

Early tach drive set up is a just a little different uses slightly different parts.
Biggest thing I noticed is there isn't much of a shaft seal so no threaded seal retainer.
I think a late model tach drive COMPLETE would swap in.

Tach drive retaining bolt dimensions. I made the lower one by modifying a stainless bolt.
tach drive retaining bolt dimensions..jpg
Thrust washer found at the bottom of the shaft (frequently lost)
dimensions. It was missing on this motor.
thrust washer tach drive gear.jpg

Early type tach drive
early xs1 tach drive.png

Later type tach drive
tach drive.png

A retrospective XS1 XS1F-B review
https://www.classicbikehub.uk/Features/article/Yamaha -XS1

Last edited:
Work continues. 3 fairly serious daze of labor so far.
Good thing Paul called it on this one their were some convoluted gotcha's RE the clutch.
Cable stiff, bound up but of course
Early style, nylon inner work gear was cracked, (they all crack).
I had bought a metal worm gear from an ebayer SEVEN YEARS ago. That got finally used on weathervane this year. Contacted Tim and hotdog he's still making them. Sent him my inner gear and arm, he will install the metal gear clocked correctly (this is a biggie) total $73
clutch push rod was installed backwards, small end towards clutch. (it had been installed backwards for a LONG time)
one of the cush springs on the back of the clutch had broken some time in the past and had been removed. the early baskets have some design differences later units were "improved" heavier cush springs better engagement of clutch plates I installed a later clutch complete.
this one was REALLY sneaky there were some small burrs inside the primary gear shaft that the push rod goes through. I took an appropriate size reamer and removed them. As a temporary measure Installed a later LH cover, with late style worm, drilled so the early lower screw/ferrule location works.
Clutch now functions! While I was in the LH cover removed stator, cleaned checked rotor, good at 5.3 ohms, changed outer brush for a new one.
Part way through the LH cover clean up.
KIMG1426.JPG
Replaced front sprocket, reworked the shift shaft protector. At some point the chain had come off the rear sprocket and ended up on the wheel hub inside the sprocket, chain slopped around a bit did some damage but no case damage. Chain guard, front of rear fender will need a bit of massaging. Have new o-ring chain will go on. will replace rear sprocket also.

KIMG1424.JPGKIMG1414.JPGKIMG1420.JPG
Removed valve covers, lubed top end with a squirt can.
need to set valves, cam chain. But it now has some compression.
Bores pistons look good.
IMG_0033.JPG
Side filter was new but was missing gasket, as previously mentioned, I replaced the bent oil pump shaft and gear with a good later complete pump. It appears sump filter has never been checked, that's next on the list.
Lubing cables, front brake is now functional, cleaning and buffing somewhat randomly.
Ordered new exhaust, and front tire, tube, gas tank emblems, a reproduction seat, etc etc. Rear tire is good enough for now.
Kick starter wasn't installed correctly, it is QUITE tricky on these early ones, later units have a snap ring that keeps the stack more or less together, the early ones don't. This has a needle thrust bearing at the cover. The gear size also changed, so I don't think a later unit will swap in. This type works, it's just fiddly getting and keeping everything aligned and in place when replacing the clutch cover.
KIMG1427.JPG
Three carbs in the box of parts, one original carb had been left in a vinegar bucket too long and is toast. A replacement carb is from a later year and doesn't match. So need to sort, decide the carb situation. Air boxes are here, need paint, one new air filter, other is MIA.
Need to buy a battery. Wiring harness is pretty good only minor fixes needed.
Chrome, aluminum is in really good shape aside from some crash damage. A coating of dust grease acted as a preservative, the dry South Dakota storage really saved this bike!
Need to install fork seals and gotta find a correct set of fork gators, most don't have enough bellows to "look" right.
Still debating the paint situation, Bill has bucket, ears, side covers in more or less survivor condition. would like to find a "survivor green tank" but that's not easy, anyone holding?
May do some parts swapping with weathervane and end up with one survivor style, one more or less restored as new.
Already well past twice the purchase price in parts on order. :shrug:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Did I miss that the speedo has been replaced or doesn't work? Seems like a lot of damage for a 4k bike. :umm:
But of course, I'm watching...:popcorn:
Right?
But I'm about certain the 4,300 is correct.
My current theory is, very early production teething issues, a long way from the dealer, someone with limited tools, skills quickly got it to the won't run state and it slowly migrated to the back of a dry shed to slumber for decades.
I'm thinking most of what I am finding stems from that broken clutch cush spring damage and "fix'n.
Let's just say a previous caretaker wasn't a trained mechanic.
Had to pause XS work yesterday and put new front brakes in Prius, done.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back