One Dakota.... XS1 fix, restore labor of love SoDak

Fin bumpers?:umm:
fin bumpers.jpg

My Xs1... #0000637, if I recall... a year after I obtained it..with factory750 kit.. the needle bearing con-rods ate themselves. I replaced the crack assembly with a Tx, 73'. unit and returned it to 20 over 650 cylinders. :cool:

My Xs1... #0000637, if I recall... a year after I obtained it..with factory750 kit.. the needle bearing con-rods ate themselves. I replaced the crack assembly with a Tx, 73'. unit and returned it to 20 over 650 cylinders. :cool:

yeah conrod needle bearings....

#1533 has em too, Bill checked them, they seemed good. so far so good; full disclosure, not very far yet.
This screen going in;
JB weld repair.jpg
After 3K in madness, it tore on the backside, ready to JB weld some more fine SS screen in place.
new screen ready for JB weld.jpg
Getting more filters ready for patching
boiled filters.jpg
A bunch of earwigs were inside the lawn tap hose, boiled, seasoned with motor oil and dish detergent, ready for lunch, Yum!
I'll repair the original also maybe it'll go in next oil change.
I've got a side filter adaptor that uses "real" paper Honda oil filters instead of a screen, think I'll put that on for the first wake up miles anyways be nice to have a real filter while the dregs of ancient gunky oil and what ever else is lurking in the motor is first warmed and circulated.

Key words; sump filter jbweld JB weld screen repair tear torn replace epoxy weld fix

Got the the threaded seal retaining collar nut off the fork lower. It's just smooth round chrome nothing to grip. It didn't want to turn so made a slotted aluminum collar to grip it in the chuck then a few blows on an old axle later, it came loose.
The upper tube has a bit of wobble, not terrible. Will measure and mark, then mess around making some jigging for the big press and see what I can do to straighten it.
xs1 fork collar nut.jpg

Last edited:
So yeah the tube has some "experience"
Finally got around to trying to straighten some tubes. There was no shortage of "tweaked" 35mm tubes to practice on.
And darned if it wasn't easier than I thought it would be.
Couple Vee blocks and an indicator on a magnetic base sitting on the table saw, next to the press for quick checking of progress. I straightened two 35mm tubes that weren't bent too bad, then worked on this one. It was bent .2" ! yeah that's a nasty bend. Pretty much all the tubes were "straight in about 3-4 cycles through the press. Sense this was a "how do I do it day" that's not bad. I guess the rule is it's better to work the tube down to straight slowly, rather than overdoing and going bent the "other" way.....
Pine wood blocks with some holes drilled, help spread the stress, prevent a "kink" at a sharp edge. You can see there's a bit of pressure involved.
Will locate some hardwood blocks and bore some holes that are better matched to the fork diameter.
KIMG1887.JPGKIMG1890.JPGKIMG1893.JPGKIMG1885.JPG

more in next post.

Last edited:

After all the practice I straightened the LH tube for SoDak. Bringing a tube in to .002 is really not that hard and that's straight enough.
Replaced the seal, got it all cleaned up. Will reassemble, then do the other side.

Last edited:
It's slow but there is progress...
Took about .050" of bend out of both tubes. Didn't need to mess with straightening lower triple, once the tubes were straight, top triple went on. Tapered steering bearings installed. Had to a use a bit of blue locktite to hold top race in the neck.
KIMG1945.JPG

KIMG1962.JPG
Final assembly will have to wait for mr paint.

Fork tube parts in assembly order.
KIMG1923.JPG

Last edited:
Buffed up the front hub, the spokes were pretty good, the rim very good.
KIMG2066.JPG
Tire was junk anyways,
Then my inner @Mailman kicked in, can't really get in to clean up the hub with the spokes in the way and those zinc plated spokes tend to rust really easy when the zinc is buffed off, so stainless spokes arrived today;
KIMG2070.JPG
nipples just threaded right off the spokes.
KIMG2067.JPG

KIMG2071.JPG
More buffing and clean up next.

Back