One hell of a first week!! longish...with pics

Stone

Just Livin
Reaction score
WOW! What a frickin week, I haven't posted an intro yet so here it is.

Lil back info, I started riding dirt bikes when I was 4 but never made the jump to street bikes. Got outta dirt bikes a couple years ago and now I'm back but on pavement!

Rewind 8 days...My buddy and I were sitting around having a few beers when the best idea came to our mind...buy a motorcycle. I have been eyeballing this site and researching xs650s for months so we started searching craigslist. The next day we called up a guy who said he had a xs650 bobber that he threw together and wanted it gone. Long story short...we went with the intentions of buying ONE bike and left with three, two of which are in parts. The running bike is a 78 and the other two are a 75 and 81 all of which have titles too!

My truck was packed to the top of the cab with, two frames, two motors, boxes of parts, and more wheels than I ever wanted. I didn't really have a choice haha. I rode the bike back home and then some, but running crappier as the day went on until it finally died. I have spent the past week practically living in the barn tearing into the 78. The wiring sucked to say the least so my buddy and I tore it all apart, cleaned the tank, cleaned the carbs, fuel lines, and then some.

I have worked on jeeps and my trucks but i am no expert. After staring at the wiring diagrams on here (THANK YOU!!! for that) for days and dreaming of them at night I figured out how to wire the damn thing up...kick start only of course cause the last thing I needed was more wires. However some where between classes starting, some beer and less sleep than i wanted we had the bike running and idling on its own around 1AM Friday night. Spent Saturday securing things, added a beer can to hold the new key switch and headlight switch...no pics of that sorry.

Was all excited to bring it back to school today and put some miles on her...but unfortunately my buddy stopped by the shop and i let him jump on the bike...told him to go slow, keep it in first and stay in the field...but he got throttle happy and the back end got swirly and threw him layin the bike down.

It wont start now (didnt have time to mess with it) but the fun will continue!

Sorry that its a bit long but a lot happened in one week haha.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

LOTS more to do, clean up the wiring some more, and re do the tail light since it doesn't exactly work right. The bike shakes like hell at high rpms and speeds...I think a top motor mount will help.

Future plans: tear it all down this winter, paint, possibly some wheels, rebuild the motor, and who knows what else

Attachments

• DSCN1297.jpg
    DSCN1297.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1270.jpg
    DSCN1270.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1269.jpg
    DSCN1269.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome.
Looks like a good score. That is a pretty good place to start from. Check it all over good then do as you said and tear it down and rebuild it. Sounds like you have the bug, I can relate.
Have fun
Georelle

hmm my bike shakes like hell too,and i dont have a top mount.lol.oh and those pipes are sick!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could take credit for the pipes but I can not. That was the previous owners handy work.

I am still brain storming ideas for a top motor mount. Anyone else has made there own Id love to see a pic!

I am still brain storming ideas for a top motor mount. Anyone else has made there own Id love to see a pic!

Could always try fitting a stock mount :yikes:

Attachments

• jens_xs_017.jpg
    jens_xs_017.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 82
yea I was out there today workin on it, I think I can fab something up by just tweaking the stock mount...I didnt think I had one until I started diggin deeper in the boxes.

Back