One Mans Junk.... '72 CS5E (RD200) Build.

My SG cost me 500 bucks. When the resto was done, I was all in at just under $2500. That's relative I guess, but when you consider some folk will burn through that much just on paintwork and powder, that ain't bad. Daily Ebay searches and patience are the order of the day.

View attachment 217677 >>>>> View attachment 217678
Dang Jim you must had a good stock of this 7A4CF616-3D04-4610-AE0C-8DAFF12631B1.jpeg

All the cool kids get after their friends in Canada and go looking for the wet cover and barrels.

I built the chassis for that bike. Eventually I had to put a vin# on it. I just couldn't do anything more with the stock steering head. For years our DMV never noticed it was my SSN.

I rolled my own cones for that. Eric Buell and Ed Toomey were watching the seamed two piece hydroformed TZ700-750 pipes split and were making their own pipes. I got a good look and copied what I saw. Both were very forthcoming and helpful. None of the top secret squirrel bs.

I about wore out the two stroke tuner's handbook. So long Gordo and thanks for all the bean oil.

I did battle with all manner of TZ for several years while constantly having to teardown for displacement verification. In short , I was doing well enough that my displacement was suspect. That didn't last long.

I think to this day I still prefer the 250 over the 350 or 400. Then again I didn't weigh 225 then either ;-)

Wanted to see how deep the pitting is on the covers. Picked what looked like the worst of it. Brown roloc disc.... skipped red 'cause I'm out... and then the blue. Then on to white rouge on a stitched wheel. Cleaned up pretty good.
I've never cared much for a black motor... and I love the way they rounded off the sharp edges on that cafe bike.
I think they're salvageable.

1656617690229.png

1656617717540.png

RD200 rounded covers.png

Those spigots look very similar to what Kawa used on their rotary valve engines . When I come to I will go see what I can see in the kawa section in the barn. Thinking ke100 carb. Cheap knockoffs on fleabay.

I'd be willing to bet one of the 175 250 yamaha singles used the same back wheel.

Partzilla is your friend.

Those spigots look very similar to what Kawa used on their rotary valve engines . When I come to I will go see what I can see in the kawa section in the barn. Thinking ke100 carb. Cheap knockoffs on fleabay.

I'd be willing to bet one of the 175 250 yamaha singles used the same back wheel.

Partzilla is your friend.
I looked at the 175 & 250 single rear wheels (Jim and I both have DTs 175&250) the brakes are slightly different but the wheels are very similar.

Last edited:
Well this will be interesting to see where this goes. It could be a fun little pocket rocket. I’ve never ridden one, but I knew a guy who had one and he said it was surprisingly snappy! 😃
I'm guessing like all smallish 2 stroke multi's of the era, you gotta' keep it up on the pipe to make any power. Still a cool find, one I'd certainly like to own.

I'm guessing like all smallish 2 stroke multi's of the era, you gotta' keep it up on the pipe to make any power. Still a cool find, one I'd certainly like to own.
Yeah, more so the pre-reed valve engines. The reeds spread the power band out and lowered it. Made it "feel" faster.
Pre-reeds it'll act dead 'till comes up on the pipes. If you've never ridden an old narrow band two stroke, you'll be in for a treat.
Comin' up on the pipes puts a grin on your face... the first time and the last. It never gets old. :laugh2:

Last edited:
I'll decide where I'm goin' with it in the next few day. If I pull the trigger, I'll just order that rear wheel you showed me yesterday. It's a good deal.
If you were in Blighty Jim, just part it out.
It will be a money pit, for a small capacity machine with limited market appeal. Sorry but that’s our market.

Yeah, more so the pre-reed valve engines. The reeds spread the power band out and lowered it. Made it "feel" faster.
Pre-reeds it'll act dead 'till comes up on the pipes. If you've never ridden an old narrow band two stroke, you'll be in for a treat.
Comin' up on the pipe puts a grin on your face... the first time and the last. It never gets old. :laugh2:

Yeah….plus it’d be a hell of a lot easier to kick start that that BSA Victor of yours! 😄

Back