One Mans Junk.... '72 CS5E (RD200) Build.

If you make the expansion chambers , I sure hope you photograph the process! I find that intriguing. I remember talking to a guy that specialized in Kawasaki triples and he had made numerous sets of expansion chambers. He said it wasn’t that hard to do ( for him anyways ) it always seemed like voodoo science to me , to figure out how to get the right amount of interior volume in a chamber. It has to provide just the right amount of back pressure.

If you make the expansion chambers , I sure hope you photograph the process! I find that intriguing. I remember talking to a guy that specialized in Kawasaki triples and he had made numerous sets of expansion chambers. He said it wasn’t that hard to do ( for him anyways ) it always seemed like voodoo science to me , to figure out how to get the right amount of interior volume in a chamber. It has to provide just the right amount of back pressure.
There's a spreadsheet for that.... ;)
Yeah... again, if I pull the trigger, there'll be lots of pics. I don't have access to slip rollers since I retired, so.... :umm:

1656640000968.png

Those are the same rollers I used to roll the chambers for the 700. It was done twice as the first set from 0.7mm sheet were to thin. Also have used them to make megaphones for 4 strokes.
The rollers are quite short so on the longer diffusers you need to make two cones instead of one.
Actually you dont need rollers you can get a pretty reasonable cone just beating it round a thick walled pipe.
Two tips, use 0.9mm thick sheet panel and after you have got your cones projected get them water jet cut it makes a neater job than snips and your wrists will thank you.
I even found a free website that you can develop your cones and lets print out templates.
Dont worry to much about using a tapered inlet pipe unless you are trying to squeeze every last Hp from the 200.
Sorry thats 4 tips.
I am sure you will make a great job of the chambers and they wont cost a bundle either.

Looks like the the RD and LT2 share quite a few front fork components also . The LT2 fork was weird because only one side had a spring as I remember it. One side did compressive shocks and the other rebond.

Had a RD200 for sometime, forget the year but it was blue. Traded it to a guy who had a used RD400.

While I had the RD200 it developed a strange noise in the engine and I took it out for a ride to see if I could figure it out. Well after pushing it home about a mile with seized engine tore it down to find the auto-injector pump drive gear had fell off. Seems 2-strokes don't like running on straight gas!

Only real damage was the rod big end bearings had gotten very warm. Checked into getting crank rebuilt and found out I could buy new assembly for about the same price as two rods and the labor to replace them.

lt2 with gyt pipe. gives the rough idea of lengths and diameters. Also check out rear hub and brake setup.
I rode a lt2mx like this and it would wheelie like crazy with the 14 year old me on it.
Add another jug and what could go wrong? :)

A pair of these pipes turned upside down would be a lot of fun.
Does the brake setup look anything like the RD stuff?1656690862391.png

Jim, you had asked in the other thread what the list price on this RD was at the Indy shop. I picked up my parts today and asked. It’s on consignment for $6500. Shop manager said the guy paid @$1600 for the pipes and another 1000 for the head. It’s nice, but talk about a rabbit hole.
5B167B88-0450-4B65-AD9B-77A77F899D1C.jpeg

I agree the sprocket needs to stay behind. Would make the rd one wheeling popping mother though.

I'm afraid the drum diameter on the lt2 maybe smaller judging by the spokes. Wouldn't bother me because I don't use a lot of back brake anyway.

1656692736484.png
1656693212491.png

This pipe is pretty close in dimensions to the pipe that Jemco made for my 125 kawa pit bike. The Jemco headpipes ran further forward towards the front wheel moving the exhaust system forward so it didn't out so far in the back. The pipe from the baffle cone to the silencer was 5 or so inchs shorter . Was very tractable on the road and a great power rush at the top end.

1656693152161.png

Jim, you had asked in the other thread what the list price on this RD was at the Indy shop. I picked up my parts today and asked. It’s on consignment for $6500. Shop manager said the guy paid @$1600 for the pipes and another 1000 for the head. It’s nice, but talk about a rabbit hole.
View attachment 217784
Have to wonder if you could really get $6,500 of that bike if I would have been better off buying a couple when new and then store them in a nice dry place if I would have done better than playing the stock market? $1,000 for a head for a 2-stroke? I recall the guy I bought my RD400 off used told me about someone who had a "Gold Head" to fit it. Forget the asking price back then but know it was no where near $1,000!

Back