One Mans Junk.... '72 CS5E (RD200) Build.

Yeah, more so the pre-reed valve engines. The reeds spread the power band out and lowered it. Made it "feel" faster.
Pre-reeds it'll act dead 'till comes up on the pipes. If you've never ridden an old narrow band two stroke, you'll be in for a treat.
Comin' u
Yeah, more so the pre-reed valve engines. The reeds spread the power band out and lowered it. Made it "feel" faster.
Pre-reeds it'll act dead 'till comes up on the pipes. If you've never ridden an old narrow band two stroke, you'll be in for a treat.
Comin' up on the pipes puts a grin on your face... the first time and the last. It never gets old.
Comin' up on the pipes puts a grin on your face... the first time and the last. It never gets old. :laugh2:
pn the pipes puts a grin on your face... the first time and the last. It never gets old. :laugh2:
My first bike was a '74 Kawasaki S-1 250, I remember that feeling well!

Yeah….plus it’d be a hell of a lot easier to kick start that that BSA Victor of yours! 😄
That's the funny part Bob, of all the RD's Yamaha made.... 80, 125, 200, 250, 350, 400....
Of all of 'em, the little 200 was the only one that was standard with an electric start. :laugh2:

Untitled.png

The good news is looks like you have the original brake backing plate so you can get an idea of the axle size.

LT2 yamaha may be a good match on some of the axle spacers etc. I have one of those also if you need measurements.

Same electric start as the 125 dirt bike. reversed the connection to the alternator to make it spin. Never worked on the one I used to ride .

Hey Jim. You better hurry! The 2022 Kansas City ALL 2-Stroke Rally is August 13th at Johnny Ray`s Drive in. See You There.:thumbsup:

August 6th is the 10th anniversary Commemorative Air Force Plane & KCVJMC bike show at the New Century Air Center. If It`s under 200 degrees in the shade I`ll probably take the Last Tracker to that one.

September 10th is the VJMC show at Donnell`s Motorcycles. That one is always a good show.

Sumbich.... chambers are available. A bit spendy though....

View attachment 217693

I havnt heard a good word about em.

Basically just make noise.

That price is without down pipes too.

Custom or build your own is probably the best bet. I remember seeing patterns on line a while back.

Last edited:
Finding a rear wheel with all the spacers etc will be tough.

A swap comes down to axle width and diameter.

I suggested the LT2 wheel because it uses the old style 4 biskit damper and I think the center spacer #7 is the same as the rd suggesting the same axle diameter.

LT2

1656631297900.png

RD200

1656631367457.png

Not too concerned with spacers. I can scrounge or turn my own on the Atlas
Axle is .5865" (14.9mm)

Swingarm axle plates are a RCH over 8"

I'll go out to the barn in the morning and measure. I think the rim is toast but would make it easy to ship.

The ke100 carbs 26.2 inlet size

1656632551263.png

just shy of 15 on my plastic HF caliper in the dark and somewhere around 7and a bit inches.

Would at least make it a roll around project. You might have to scrounge a RD axle.

The only concerns are head and base gaskets, crankcase seals availability. I don't think I would go into the bottom end . If there problems there done deal. otherwise clean up the bores and see if it will run. It sure would wake up the neighborhood.

The RD200 dates back to the dawn of time. The first bikes of this design was introduced in 67. The 75 RD200B was the end of the line.

IMG_20220630_185004130.jpg
IMG_20220630_185040976.jpg

Back