One more camshaft question.

Vmx51

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just put needle roller bearings in my cam , as the bronze bushings I bought were too sloppy. Everything feels good now. However the the labyrinth "seals" slide in and out with no effort , can I loctite the in place , or what ? I was looking through a box of cams I have , all of them have 447 on them , except one that just has the number 3 on it. Any ideas what it came out of ?

However the the labyrinth "seals" slide in and out with no effort , can I loctite the in place , or what ?
The cam covers don't use labyrinth seals.. they use what's called garlock seals. There should be a spring around the inner lip.
They're an interference fit. If they'll slide in and out they're most likely the wrong size. There should be a series of 3 numbers on 'em. In this case... 25-40-5 (or 7). The second number is what you should look at. 40 stands for 40mm outside diameter. 25 is the inner mm and the 5 or 7 is the width of the seals. Verify you have 40mm seals?

Where did you get them from? If aftermarket then maybe they're sized wrong. It's either that or the bore in the cam is too big. Have you tried slipping them into any of the other cams you have?

Jim , I am talking about the things that go inside the end of the cam , they have an internal groove machined in them
My bad, thought you meant the cam cover seals. I've never used the needle bearings for the advance rod. Didn't know it had seals with it.

Well, they call it a "labyrinth" seal, not sure what that means. It's not a rubber seal of any sort, more of a bushing with grooves cut in it's I.D. .....

dhXcM3V.jpg

You pack the grooves full of grease and it keeps the advance rod lubed for several years .....

cc8H22E.jpg

A labyrinth is a maze or convoluted passageway. For a labyrinth seal to work, there needs to also be ridges on the rotating part for whatever we're trying to keep in... wind around. Since there isn't any "ridges" on the camshaft... it's kinda like pissin' in the wind. It might slow the migration, but it won't stop it.

1643234578655.png

Last edited:
Back