One Step from the Bin/Rusty Special Redo

To be honest, this project was sorta calling out to me like a lost puppy, now I find it's not so cute and expensive to remediate as well, so it can go back on the rack with a warning tag. Some local hardtailer will want a titled frame to get creative with. I have others to bring back from less desperate straits.
Like the black Special I painted in December, I have to get some wiring resolved, (hence the avoidance jump to the rust bucket) so I will gird my loins and enter the fray, being thankful it's Japanese wiring, not British.

Last edited:
20190506_211455-1.jpg
Like this one - build date 10 82.

A "Roller" in the Rain
20190620_175127-1.jpg
With a nice strap shaped patch mig welded on by my body man, a big can of Tremclad and a couple hours today I have changed 2 lumps on the floor to 1. When it stops raining, out to the shed to choose some wheels and fork tubes.

Then it will sit for a bit while I go at the black '83. A bit of wiring and ground chasing on that one and it will be a lot closer to.the door.

- - - I have to get some wiring resolved, (hence the avoidance jump to the rust bucket) so I will gird my loins and enter the fray, being thankful it's Japanese wiring, not British.

Hi lakeview,
you must be really in love with complicated wiring to thankful for the XS650's horsecock thick wiring harness
rather than for the 8 (OK, 14 if you want signals) wires that operate a BSA.

20190722_184300-1.jpg
Some 80's Style!
Using this sissy bar allows me to conserve a pair of hard to find shoulder bolts and those special plates used to bolt on the indicators.
2 - 1 exhaust mounted, wiring mostly done, this one may be a kicker as the starter really does not like to engage and I do not want to go into the right side for this particular bike. At least that's my story at this point.

View attachment 145843
Some 80's Style!
Using this sissy bar allows me to conserve a pair of hard to find shoulder bolts and those special plates used to bolt on the indicators.
2 - 1 exhaust mounted, wiring mostly done, this one may be a kicker as the starter really does not like to engage and I do not want to go into the right side for this particular bike. At least that's my story at this point.
Sissy bars rule !

20191108_162511-1.jpg
Kijiji had an ad from a fellow who was looking for something to hardtail, so I brought this one up from the shed ( why is the one ya want always almost near the back?) and mocked it up with a seat, side covers and a tank and here it is.
I told him I had to put on a set of carbs to see if it would fire up, but first I did a compression check. FWIW, there were several squirts of oil put in it and then motor was liberally kicked and kicked to spread it around. The Results:
Right Side 130 lb.
Left Side 128.5 lb.
Pretty excited about that, plus the piston top looks almost perfect, can see the arrow and a number that looks like a 3, so will install a set of carbs tomorrow to see if it will make some noise!

View attachment 153785
Kijiji had an ad from a fellow who was looking for something to hardtail, so I brought this one up from the shed ( why is the one ya want always almost near the back?) and mocked it up with a seat, side covers and a tank and here it is.
I told him I had to put on a set of carbs to see if it would fire up, but first I did a compression check. FWIW, there were several squirts of oil put in it and then motor was liberally kicked and kicked to spread it around. The Results:
Right Side 130 lb.
Left Side 128.5 lb.
Pretty excited about that, plus the piston top looks almost perfect, can see the arrow and a number that looks like a 3, so will install a set of carbs tomorrow to see if it will make some noise!

Hi lakeview,
if you still want to sell that bike after you get it running, perhaps you should seek a purchaser who ain't a masochistic Vandal?

Any enthusiast with the proper amount of money may buy that machine. The rust issues have been resolved now to make it a serviceable swing arm bike, so I can sell it with confidence; it will however, never be a 10.

Last edited:
Back